Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RoseAnnMcK
Level 9

How important is it to plug device into wall socket?

Jump to solution

I have two devices and neither is plugged into a wall socket since the power supply would not reach the wall socket from where the TV and device are hooked up. The devices are in plugged into power strips. 

How important is it to plug the devices into the wall socket? If it is really important, then the cord for the power supply may need to be lengthened so that it can reach the wall socket if the TV is not close to it. 

Love God and Country
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: How important is it to plug device into wall socket?

Jump to solution

@RoseAnnMcK 

Thanks for the inquiry.

In general, we would always recommend that you plug the device into a wall outlet as the TV USB port does not always supply adequate power to your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RoseAnnMcK wrote:

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@RoseAnnMcK 

Thanks for the inquiry.

In general, we would always recommend that you plug the device into a wall outlet as the TV USB port does not always supply adequate power to your Roku device.

Thanks,
Danny

Thank you for your reply. I have my Roku devices plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall socket. 

I think Danny misunderstood and thought you were using the TV's USB port for power.

In general, there shouldn't be any issues using a power strip, as long as it's not overloaded. Most US homes have either 15 or 20 amp circuits feeding most outlets. While an individual Roku uses very little power, less than an amp, when many devices that draw more power are connected to a single circuit there could be voltage dips that could affect electronic devices. But that would be a lot of equipment connected to a single circuit. In my family room, my TV, AVR, Roku, Shield, HTPC, and several other devices are all on a single circuit using several outlets. I also use a couple of power strips to feed all the hungry devices. I don't have any issues with any of them on that one circuit. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@RoseAnnMcK 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
RoseAnnMcK
Level 9

Jump to solution

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@RoseAnnMcK 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Thanks,
Danny

Thank you for your reply. I have my Roku devices plugged into a power strip that is plugged into the wall socket. 

Love God and Country
0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@RoseAnnMcK wrote:

@RokuDanny-R wrote:

@RoseAnnMcK 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Thanks,
Danny

I think Danny misunderstood and thought you were using the TV's USB port for power.

In general, there shouldn't be any issues using a power strip, as long as it's not overloaded. Most US homes have either 15 or 20 amp circuits feeding most outlets. While an individual Roku uses very little power, less than an amp, when many devices that draw more power are connected to a single circuit there could be voltage dips that could affect electronic devices. But that would be a lot of equipment connected to a single circuit. In my family room, my TV, AVR, Roku, Shield, HTPC, and several other devices are all on a single circuit using several outlets. I also use a couple of power strips to feed all the hungry devices. I don't have any issues with any of them on that one circuit. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

0 Kudos