Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Clk
Level 7

How does Roku work with Hotspot?

Want to get rid of Moms expensive cable bill. She has an iPhone with hotspot and flat screen tv(not fancy).

step by step- how does roku work with a hotspot, which roku should I get?

channels she wants are hgtv and a pbs channel for antiques roadshow and our local wink news station 34135

im not techy so when explaining please assume there’s no “Base knowledge “

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: How does Roku work with Hotspot?

@Clk 

Thanks for the inquiry.

For more information about Roku, we would recommend taking a look at the following Support pages:
What is a Roku® streaming player?
What channels can I watch on my Roku® streaming device?

We don't typically recommend using mobile hotspot connections for streaming, but rather recommend the use of a home wireless network if available.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
flyineagle
Level 7

Danny - 

Just curious: why is is not recommended to use ROKU w/ a mobile hotspot?  We are looking at doing just that while camping and using  Verizon mobile hotspot.  The download speed is between 22 - 25 Mbps.  Is that sufficient to run the ROKU?

Thanks for the info.  

Jeff

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That's more than enough speed, but check the fine print on your "unlimited" plan if you have one.  If you don't, you'll quickly blow through your data.  Even if you do, your carrier is likely to throttle your speed after you've used some amount of data making streaming impossible.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.