Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PBG
Streaming Star

How do install a Micro SD card in a Roku Ultra 4670X ?

Jump to solution

I couldn’t find installation instructions. 

Does it install with the labeling on the Micro SD Card facing down?

I realize it will push in and click.

What state should the Roku be in before installing the card?

I realize that if the card is recognized, it should show up in Settings/System/About

Mine didn’t show up as installed. What do I do now?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do install a Micro SD card in a Roku Ultra 4670X ?

Jump to solution

Unless you force it, it will only go in one way.  I believe they're all the same regardless of model, but I can't be positive.  Usually the label is down (the gold contacts are up) and as you stated it will click into place.  It will probably require you to use your fingernail or something similar to push it in beyond the case to get it to click into place.

Lots of people have reported that they can't get their microSD card recognized and I don't think there's any one solution.  It should recognize it as soon as you insert it (you want to be at the Home Screen).  If it doesn't, try restarting it with the card inserted or pulling the power for a few seconds and plugging it back in with the card inserted.  Finally, if none of that works try formatting it in a computer if possible before inserting it.  Rokus seem to be picky about what card they'll accept.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Unless you force it, it will only go in one way.  I believe they're all the same regardless of model, but I can't be positive.  Usually the label is down (the gold contacts are up) and as you stated it will click into place.  It will probably require you to use your fingernail or something similar to push it in beyond the case to get it to click into place.

Lots of people have reported that they can't get their microSD card recognized and I don't think there's any one solution.  It should recognize it as soon as you insert it (you want to be at the Home Screen).  If it doesn't, try restarting it with the card inserted or pulling the power for a few seconds and plugging it back in with the card inserted.  Finally, if none of that works try formatting it in a computer if possible before inserting it.  Rokus seem to be picky about what card they'll accept.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
PBG
Streaming Star

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos
gaalan69

Jump to solution

I don’t know the model number of my Ultra but I have tried two different SD cards with no luck.  I first bought a 32GB Sandisk which after some research it sounds like it’s too big/powerful.  I am just now trying an SD card I bought directly from Roku that is a 2GB and the device doesn’t acknowledge it either.  I have it installed with the label side down.  This is frustrating because now I’ve spent about $30 on SD cards for nothing.  I also do not have the capability to reformat the card either.  

0 Kudos
mweston

Jump to solution

At first I totally unplugged the Roku (power, HDMI, and network) and installed the card. It wasn't seen, even after trying to restart it. My second try, I left the power and network connected, unplugged the HDMI for access, and removed and reinserted the card, and it was seen! I'm not sure if the sequence mattered or what, but was glad it did work.

The model is 4660X, by the way, which I think is the 2017 Ultra. See Settings > System > About to see your model.

32GB was apparently grossly overkill (last I checked only 1.8GB was used), so if you have a smaller card available, it will likely be plenty.

0 Kudos
APolitz

Jump to solution

I was having the same issue today with a 32 gig SanDisk. The card clicks in but it's extremely loose. You have to insert the card until it is flush with the Roku case. This is a Roku 4670x

Doctor_Manhatta
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I stumbled into a much longer thread on this subject here somewhere, but I can't find it now...so here goes.

I just successfully did this on my two older Ultras, one is a 4640 and the other is a 4670. I read here about the woes of some who have had difficulty getting their Ultras to recognize the cards they used. The entries on that longer thread ultimately sussed out that no matter how large the capacity of the card you choose, the Ultra will/can only make use of 2G of the total volume, even though it will be aware of how large the card actually is. With that 2G cap in mind, I ordered a pair of these (they're sold in pairs):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08L8RC2Y2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details 

They were less than $10 for the pair. I figured, why waist a lot of money on more expensive, larger cards when the Ultra will be perfectly (and possibly, only) happy with just 2G. I did go way overboard (😉) and spring for the extra $0.09 for 4G cards vs the 2G cards. I couldn't help myself. Anyway, as soon as they came, I followed the thread suggestion that the card should be inserted (shiny contacts facing up) with the Ultra already turned on. I did do a fresh reboot on each unit before inserting the cards, though. In both the 4640 and 4670, the units recognized the cards as soon as they were inserted and immediately asked if I wanted to format them. Yes, please! It was a slow format, but with a count-up percentage displayed, just like Ultras do with anything loading, etc.

Afterward, just for thoroughness, I rebooted the units again, and then proceeded to activate each of my 18 loaded apps. This was the last time I saw any "Loading" messages on any of the apps (well...Netflix almost always says "loading" very briefly). Now, all the apps just load. Interestingly, while the 4670 reports using 0.2G of 3.9G, the 4640 reports using 0.3G of 3.9G. I don't know why there's this slight discrepancy...unless the 4670 has a bit more internal storage than the 4640. 🤔

I guess my main point is: don't over-think this process. I understand the temptation is to lean toward larger, bleeding edge cards...but these older Ultras just don't need, and can't make use of all of, them anyway. Force yourself to go simple, cheap, small, and you'll be just fine. And, contrary to conservative common practice, plug the card in while the unit is already turned on. Apparently, it's often the only way the Ultra will initially recognize the card.

I hope this will help someone. Happy streaming!   

Jump to solution

To summarize what I think works most of the time:

1.  Turn off TV, leave Roku powered up 

2.  Unplug HDMI cable from Roku

3.  Insert SD card, contact side up

4.  Turn on TV

5.  Follow screen prompts 

6.  If no prompts, try again!

0 Kudos