Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jagster66
Level 7

How do I turn off internet connection to watch local channels

Second newbie post here. How do I turn off the internet connection so that we can watch local channels without having to turn my whole internet off? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: How do I turn off internet connection to watch local channels

@jagster66

Thanks for the post.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? Are you using a Roku device or a Roku TV? If you have a Roku TV, do you have an antenna connected to your Roku TV?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
jagster66
Level 7

Hello Danny,

I am hoping I just have a setting that needs adjusted but here is what we are experiencing... No local channels, such as 11.1, 11.2, 11.3 etc WHEN the internet is turned on at the WIFI modem. If I turn the modem off, we get them. With the modem on, of course we get all the hundreds of free channels. How can I have my wifi modem on AND get the local channels?

0 Kudos
jagster66
Level 7

Sorry, I forgot to add what tv I have. It is a TCL-ROKU 4K HDR

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Your Internet connection has nothing to do with receiving over the air (OTA) broadcasts. You merely select the TV tuner (labeled Live TV) in your Roku TV from the main Roku home screen. There are IPTV channels listed in the channel guide, but you can hide them from the Settings menu. With them hidden, you'll only see the OTA TV channels that were discovered when you performed a channel scan during initial setup. 

So, are you saying that if you select Live TV from the main screen, there's nothing that appears unless you turn off your Internet router? That simply makes no sense, so there has to be something that isn't correct. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jagster66
Level 7

It's fixed. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Can you explain what was done to resolve it?

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jagster66
Level 7

I kinda feel stupid but yeah. It was as simple as going in and hiding the "live streaming channels". 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

No problem. They were likely still there, but all the IPTV channels were filling the grid. I have them hidden in mine as well. Smiley Happy

Dan
0 Kudos