Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JodiSteele503
Level 7

How do I know whether my TV is compatible with 4K?

Jump to solution

I currently use an older Roku model and would like to buy the 4K stick to replace it. How can I confirm that my TV is compatible prior to buying the new Roku device?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: How do I know whether my TV is compatible with 4K?

Jump to solution

@JodiSteele503 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that a Roku device will work with any TV, but will only display on screen what the TV is compatible with.

To figure out if your TV is capable of 4K, you would have to research the model and specifications of your TV.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@JodiSteele503 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that a Roku device will work with any TV, but will only display on screen what the TV is compatible with.

To figure out if your TV is capable of 4K, you would have to research the model and specifications of your TV.

Hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

As long as you have a HD set (at least 720p) any current Roku model will work with it.  My 4K Roku Stick+ works great with my non-4K 1080p Samsung. I would suggest setting Settings > Display type to the tv's actual resolution rather than leaving it on "Auto detect". 

If you don't know your set's resolution, check the manual that came with it if you still have it, or do a web search for your model number's specs online.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos