Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

How do I get Roku Streaming Stick+ to send audio through my AVR ?

Jump to solution

Using the Roku I cannot get audio to come through my AVR and surround sound speaker system.  Instead, it comes thru my TV which is terrible quality.    For TV watching (HDMI1), TV volume is kept at 0 and the optical cable from "digital audio out" goes from the TV to the AVR for good audio through my speaker system.   However, I get no audio with Roku (HDMI2) this way.   The only way I get audio is to turn UP the TV volume, turn off the AVR digital input, and then hear terrible audio quality from the lousy TV speakers.  My TV (Panasonic TC-L42E3) has no other “audio out” than the optical digital. My AVR (Technics SA-DX930) has no HDMI connectors.  How can I get a decent audio signal using Roku by getting it through my AVR?  Do I have to buy a new AVR with HDMI?   Please help, otherwise I have to return the Roku.

Thanks,
Jeff

0 Kudos
4 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: How do I get Roku Streaming Stick+ to send audio through my AVR ?

Jump to solution

Instead of upgrading the avr to one with hdmi inputs, buy a cheaper hdmi switch with audio extractor in the form of either rca or optical outputs whichever your avr can accept.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch+extractor&crid=2P5FLS39WSCRH&sprefix=hdmi+switch+ex%2Caps%2C1...

Edmund

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

.... if I went with one of those audio extractors, say:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extractor-Converter-Support/dp/B00YHS5E6Q/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid...

it's still not clear to me that this would work.  I have the Direct TV going into HDMI#1 on my TV (The audio comes from the Direct TV Box to the AVR RCA plug input on my AVR with the Optical Audio Out cable from my TV going into the Optical Digital Input on the AVR).  I have the Roku going into HDMI#2.  on my TV.    Would I plug in both the Direct TV HDMI cable and the Roku Streaming Stick into different HDMI inputs on the Extractor Box and then use the box to select which one was going to the HDMI output jack (which I'd then cable to, say HDMI#1 on my TV)?  And have the switch select automatically which optical audio signal went into my AVR optical audio input?    If that is correct, then it sounds like that box should work for me.

Thanks again.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

That wasn't what I posted, it read "Your link only has one input", you have multiple devices. Your equipment either lacks the right inputs or they're in use. I have no experience with the product I linked to, just that is kind of device you need. And you don't need to press the front of the device to switch inputs it comes with remote control. I had a 6 input 2 output matrix that cost $129, it stunk, and it didn't do 4k. I replaced with 5x1 hdmi switch that did 4k and cost $40. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Edmund-

I got the J-Tech Matrix Switch/Audio Extractor into the system yesterday.  It works perfectly (after finding the one HDMI input on my old TV where it does)!  One click on the J-Tech remote gives me either TV or Roku streaming with great audio.  What a difference in listening to the Hamilton movie on Disney+ last night!!

Thanks for the help.

Jeff

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@jeffweiss9 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page here for setting up your Roku device with an AVR: How do I set up my Roku® streaming player for surround sound?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Danny-

I have, in fact, spent considerable time examining the Roku Support pages that you mention (6 hours yesterday to be exact): 

Item 6. Roku streaming stick with HDTV & Non-HDMI AVR

is the only relevant reference that I found.  Only sub bullets 1 and 3 apply since subbullet 2 refers to a "Rocku Ready TV" which is not the case.

The first sub bullet was accomplished plugging the Roku "stick into an available HDMI input on your TV".  The third sub bullet, however, says "From your TV, connect one end of the composite audio cable to the audio output and the other end into your AVR".

Neither of those two connections with a composite audio cable is possible:

a) The only audio output on the back of my TV is an optical digital cable that is used normally to send audio to the AVR optical AVR jack for optical input.

b) The composite audio input in AVR already has the Red/White (L/R) audio RCA cables coming from the Direct TV box, so there is nothing available to plug that into either.

I would hope there are experts at Roku who can either tell me a work-around for this or definitively tell me it is not possible so that I can return the Roku.  A third possibility that, from the TV manual, I suspect may be possible, is to replace my AVR that has no HDMI inputs with one that has multiple HDMI inputs that have "HDAVI Control 6"  which,  I believe, would enable audio signal to go from the TV successfully to the AVR.

Specific suggestions on any of those measures (or others) that might help this happen would be greatly appreciated.   I have put in much time trying to make this work and believe Roku has an obligation to give some reasonable level support to its customers.

Watching Hamilton with beautiful video but tinny audio through my TV's **bleep** speakers is not worth keeping the Roku.

Thanks very much.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

Instead of upgrading the avr to one with hdmi inputs, buy a cheaper hdmi switch with audio extractor in the form of either rca or optical outputs whichever your avr can accept.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+switch+extractor&crid=2P5FLS39WSCRH&sprefix=hdmi+switch+ex%2Caps%2C1...

Edmund

Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Edmund-

Thanks very much for your proposed solution that sounds very good to me.  Right now the RCA inputs on the AVR are occupied by RCA (composite) audio cables coming from the Direct TV box while the OPTICAL input in the AVR is occupied by the optical cable from the Optical Audio jack on the back of the TV (the only audio output from the TV).    So I would have to presumably manually switch the optical cable plugged into the back of the AVR between the one coming from the TV for TV listening and the one coming from the Audio Extractor in order to use the Roku with full audio.    That can certainly be done and I'm grateful for finally having a solution that can work.   I wonder if there is any kind of optical cable switch unit that one can buy that would allow me to switch which optical cable signal goes into the AVR without physically unplugging and plugging different optical cables.

Thanks again.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

.... if I went with one of those audio extractors, say:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Extractor-Converter-Support/dp/B00YHS5E6Q/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid...

it's still not clear to me that this would work.  I have the Direct TV going into HDMI#1 on my TV (The audio comes from the Direct TV Box to the AVR RCA plug input on my AVR with the Optical Audio Out cable from my TV going into the Optical Digital Input on the AVR).  I have the Roku going into HDMI#2.  on my TV.    Would I plug in both the Direct TV HDMI cable and the Roku Streaming Stick into different HDMI inputs on the Extractor Box and then use the box to select which one was going to the HDMI output jack (which I'd then cable to, say HDMI#1 on my TV)?  And have the switch select automatically which optical audio signal went into my AVR optical audio input?    If that is correct, then it sounds like that box should work for me.

Thanks again.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

Your link only has one input, what you need is matrix hdmi switch with audio extractor like this:

https://www.amazon.com/J-Tech-Digital-Switcher-Selector-Extractor/dp/B00QJGAKCW/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid...

Edmund
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Edmund-

Thanks, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by "my link needs only one input".   Do you mean that I only need one audio signal extracted and input into my AVR, as that is the case?  Then this Audio Extractor unit you suggest would have me plug in the HDMI from Direct TV  into one of the three HDMI inputs and the  the Roku Streaming Stick+ would plug (it has an HDMI connector) directly into a second HDMI input.  Then I would plug the Optical Audio cable that goes to the AVR (currently from the TV Optical Audio Output) into the Audio Extractor Unit.

Then, to operate I would select with the switch on the unit front panel which of those two sources would go to the HDMI output cable to the HDMI1 input on my TV, while meanwhile the Audio Extractor Unit would switch the correct Audio into the optical cable going into the AVR.

Do I have this correct.  If so,  I can order the unit that you suggested below.  

Thanks,
Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

That wasn't what I posted, it read "Your link only has one input", you have multiple devices. Your equipment either lacks the right inputs or they're in use. I have no experience with the product I linked to, just that is kind of device you need. And you don't need to press the front of the device to switch inputs it comes with remote control. I had a 6 input 2 output matrix that cost $129, it stunk, and it didn't do 4k. I replaced with 5x1 hdmi switch that did 4k and cost $40. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Jump to solution

Edmund-

Ok, got it.  It looks like the kind of device that I need and, yes, I didn't realize it came with a remote so no manual switch to turn for selecting DirectTV or Roku.   I've ordered it and think it should do the trick.

Thanks for all your help.  The Roku web articles were not any help so it was greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jeff

0 Kudos