Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
INeedsHelp
Channel Surfer

How do I activate a smart tv with Roku already on it. No link code

Jump to solution

Hello. I have a Samsung smart tv with Roku already installed. I am signed in but cannot add any channels. The only thing that comes up is a search box and settings along with the free shows. I want to add channels but looks like without a link code (and where do I put that, I cannot even find where to put it if I had the code). Someone please help. This is so frustrating. All the videos I have found are with a roku device and my remote control is the tv remote, not roku.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How do I activate a smart tv with Roku already on it. No link code

Jump to solution

That’s not a Roku TV. That’s an Android/Google TV that has the Roku Channel app installed. 

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 REPLIES 19
DBDukes

Jump to solution

Samsung made Roku TVs? I thought they used Android/Google TV when they dropped their own platform.

Are you sure:

1. It's a Samsung?
  2. It's a Roku TV?

Something doesn't seem right.

Now, if it's a Samsung and has a Roku box or Stick attached, that's more likely. Settings > System > About

What is the model number of the Roku? And the OS version?

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
INeedsHelp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

It is a samsung series 8 with a built in roku. This has been the most frustrating electronic I have ever dealt with. On the menu bar, it has roku, when I go to it, I am signed into my roku account, saying hello but when I try to add a channel from the store, nothing happens. It is asking me for a link code. 

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@INeedsHelp wrote:

It is a samsung series 8 with a built in roku. This has been the most frustrating electronic I have ever dealt with. On the menu bar, it has roku, when I go to it, I am signed into my roku account, saying hello but when I try to add a channel from the store, nothing happens. It is asking me for a link code. 

The only companies that start with "S" that I knew of making Roku TVs were Sanyo and Sharp. However, if you say it's a Samsung, and the main screen says Roku TV across the top left, then that's what you have. 

Since you appear to be able to navigate the menu, I'm uncertain why you didn't provide the information requested. We ask because it matters. Help us help you. Model number and OS version. Settings > System > About

DBDukes

0 Kudos
INeedsHelp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I don't know. Here is a screenshot of my tv. I am so not computer or electronic savvyDSC00540.JPG

0 Kudos
INeedsHelp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

and I so appreciate all your help

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

That’s not a Roku TV. That’s an Android/Google TV that has the Roku Channel app installed. 

DBDukes

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

Yes, "The Roku Channel" is one of the thousands of channels available on a Roku device. And that channel is available by other means as well, including your TV.  However, any other specific Roku Device channels, need a Roku device to run on.

0 Kudos
INeedsHelp
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

So I need to go buy a roku device?

DBDukes

Jump to solution

@INeedsHelp wrote:

So I need to go buy a roku device?

No. Unless you want to.

You have a perfectly good Android/Google TV device. I suspect it's kept up to date. You should be able to add apps from the Google Play store to it. One of the apps on it already is called The Roku Channel. That is simply an app that Roku makes that includes free ad-supported content. You don't need a Roku device to access it. Just launch the app and watch the content.

Now, if you want a Roku, sure, get a Roku. It's your money. Spend it like you want. Roku is the leading streaming platform. Amazon Fire TV is number two. I think Google TV and Apple TV are numbers 3 and 4, but I'm not certain of the order. Probably Google then Apple.

Anyway, you don't need a Roku to watch The Roku Channel. But anybody can get a Roku device and put on any TV they want. I have a Roku device on my Samsung Android TV, as I like Roku's interface better than Android/Google. But that's simply personal preference.

DBDukes