Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SamR
Level 7

How can I find out if roku suit my TV

Jump to solution

I would like to buy the Roku but how do I know it would suit my TV ...I have a Panasonic TV.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How can I find out if roku suit my TV

Jump to solution

First, your TV needs HDMI inputs. If you bought it within the last 10 years or so, that shouldn't be a problem. Next is the TV's native resolution. Some early HDTVs do not accept a 1080p signal, but they do accept a 720p signal. All current Roku players support 1080p and 720p. On rare occasions the TV doesn't report it's resolution accurately (that is done using something technical called EDID, don't worry about it) and the Roku sends the 1080p signal the TV can't accept. 

As long as your TV meets that requirement (HDMI input), any Roku will work. I don't recommend the Express, as too many users have network problems with it. If you want a wired connection, the Ultra is the only model with that. I have used the Premiere and Stick without problems for years, and also have three different models of Ultras. They all work fine for me.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: How can I find out if roku suit my TV

Jump to solution

First, your TV needs HDMI inputs. If you bought it within the last 10 years or so, that shouldn't be a problem. Next is the TV's native resolution. Some early HDTVs do not accept a 1080p signal, but they do accept a 720p signal. All current Roku players support 1080p and 720p. On rare occasions the TV doesn't report it's resolution accurately (that is done using something technical called EDID, don't worry about it) and the Roku sends the 1080p signal the TV can't accept. 

As long as your TV meets that requirement (HDMI input), any Roku will work. I don't recommend the Express, as too many users have network problems with it. If you want a wired connection, the Ultra is the only model with that. I have used the Premiere and Stick without problems for years, and also have three different models of Ultras. They all work fine for me.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos