Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nickp
Level 7

How Do I Set up Roku with Spectrum TV and Tivo Boxes?

So, I got given the Roku (4K one) as a birthday presant.

I currently have Spectrum TV and am using Tivo boxes.

If I could lower my cable bill, that would be great.

So, I setup YouTubeTV and the Spectrum app.
The Spectrum app quality does not appear as good as YouTube TV.
Youtube TV is quirky.

So, I cannot figure out how to turn on the TV in the morning and be in TV mode.
IE, how can I easily watch TV in the morning.

There are buttons on the remote for Netflix / sling / hulu / HBO. 
I have ONE of these services.
Can I reprogram the buttons to do something else.

Are there any better/different remotes.
I miss having number buttons.
I would like a button that displays the guide, etc.
Even Channel UP and Down would be nice.

The picture quality is great.

[topic title changed]

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
37mediagroup
Level 9

Re: Noob, so what can i do with this?

Not sure of your exact Roku device & remote, but in general Roku remotes are very simplistic. It's sorta their believe, to keep it simple. Makes sense in some ways, as I have an old 90s stereo remote which for some reason they thought people would program to use their VCR/DVD/CD player as it has a Play, RWD, FFWD etc on it, TV channels etc. Must have about 100 buttons on it, Of which I & most owners probably only used Power, Radio channel & Volume controls.

Anyway with that said I believe what you are looking to do is to just press the Home button on the top of the remote. This takes you to all your Roku Channels, then you just scroll over to the Youtube Channel app. You can move & rearrange these by clicking the * then 'Move Channel'.

If you are asking for when your TV gets turned on it immediately goes to the Roku station & not cable tv or antennae (NBC, ABC, CBS etc). That varies if you have a Roku TV or not. If it isn't a Roku TV I really wouldn't know how to make the Roku input the default input. Some settings can be updated in System > Settings area (or maybe the opposite Settings > System I forget) but I don't think it can immediately turn on to the Youtube TV channel. Just a limitation. Typically  Channel Up & Channel Down are the purple up down left right arrows, and pressing the middle OK button gives a channel guide or options. I'm not sure tho with Youtube Tv tho.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Remember that the Roku remote has never been intended as a replacement to a standard TV remote. When they started with the Roku TVs, they elected to keep the same simple remote, with the added power, mute and volume buttons. No, you really won't find any other remotes that provide more direct access to Roku functions. The four predefined buttons you have on your remote will differ with different models and years. As Pasnow mentioned, there's no Roku control function to bring you directly into TV mode, unless you have a Roku TV. If that is what you have, then yes there is a menu option to go straight to broadcast TV (or some other input), rather than the main Roku menu page..

Can you lower your cable bill? Possibility. Depending on your desired channels, there might be something on the Roku that can also provide you with that channel. Playstation Vue is one, and Sling TV is another. You can also subscribe to several "cable" channels, such as HBO or Showtime, without having a TV/satellite cable subscription. But be careful, because once you add all of them together it may or may not be cheaper to remain with Spectrum. Also, if Spectrum provides your Internet access, the price could increase if you cancel your TV portion and only retain the Internet.
What Roku do you have?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
nickp
Level 7

Hey Guys.
Thanks for the feedback.

I have the Roku Ultra - it's 4K.
I can program it, so that when the Roku powers on the TV, ti also changes the channel to HDMI4 for the Roku.  Great so far.  (Samsung TV.)

I have YoutubeTV as the first icon, but it would be great if I had a button to auto-launch TV.  I cannot figure out a way to do that.
So, I hit HOME, then RIGHT, the OK - I get the YouTubeTV menu.
The problem with YouTubeTV is that it goes to their "Home" menu, so now I need to scroll right, select a channel, and press OK in order to watch TV.
The TV quality is GREAT, but the number of buttons fails the "wife test".

If I was able to reprogram the Hulu button to lauch YoutubeTV, then that would be a great start.
Also, if I was able to put "favorite channels" on the YoutubeTV home screen, to launch CBS, then my wife could easily watch the news in the morning.  (Yeah, I know that's a function of YoutubeTV, not Roku.)

The YoutubeTV interface could also be a lot better.  The guide function seems to have less than 24 hours of giuide, so trying to record a show that's advertised as coming tomorrow evening is quite difficult.

Mostly, I'm really happy with the picture quality, but it's the interface that's going to fail the wife test.
A few tweaks, and it really could be there.

Currently I'm on a $90 spectrum package that costs me $125 per month.
Basic Internet (200Mbps) is $55, so $35 takes me to $90.  I still have $30 to spend on HBO, etc, which I don't currently have.
0 Kudos
Elijah_Baley
Level 7

Just as a point of info: YouTube and almost all other apps on the Roku are NOT written by Roku. They are written by the content owners or their contractors. So for YouTube's interface you need to contact YouTube and I have to say good luck with that. I am pretty sure YouTube, like Netflix, Amazon and virtually every content provider do not actually listen to user input but rather use the corporate boardroom to decide how their apps should behave.

If the CEO or COO or CTO or their delegated representative like it then it must be right for the users and if the users have problems with the app then the users are doing it wrong according to the powers that be.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

You could always buy a Harmony remote and add activities to it, that get you to certain points.. like Home Home, left, right, select, etc.. the only problem with macros is if you're not pointing directly at the box you're controlling and a keypress is missed, the macro fails to do its job..

My suggestion is to try free trials of other live TV apps like Hulu, PS Vue, and DirecTV Now.. see which one works best for you. You might find that using an antenna most of the time works best, and then using on-demand instead of live TV apps is the better way to go. Most cord cutters here seem to like the on-demand stuff more than the live stuff.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

The quick select buttons on the remote are not programmable. Those companies have paid Roku a fee to have their button there, so they can't be changed. I too would much rather be able to program the channels I want on them.
As others have mentioned, the individual channels, such as YouTube TV, are developed by those companies, and Roku has little to no input on their functionality. And as also mentioned, they don't seem to listen to the users very well. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
dfgsrzwer
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
And as also mentioned, they don't seem to listen to the users at all.

FTFY...you're welcome. Smiley Wink
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs
0 Kudos