Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackdinger
Level 7

Hooking up my new Roku ultra

Hello, I’m new to Roku, just purchased a Roku ultra... My older Samsung TV has 2 HDMI ports, presently one cable is connected to my cable box, the second cable is connected to my DVD player, do I need an HDMI hub to connect my Roku ultra...?

If so,  would I then connect my Roku to one of the TV ports, and the HDMI hub to  the other, then connect my DVD player to  the hub? please advise thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 11

Re: Hooking up my new Roku ultra

That's correct..

You can either plug the HDMI switcher into one of the HDMI ports on your TV, and then plug all of your HDMI devices into it, or plug one device into a free HDMI port on the TV, the HDMI switcher into the other, and the remaining devices into the HDMI switcher.. the way you hook them up really doesn't matter, as long as there's an eventual conneciton to the TV.

I'd recommend a switcher that has its own remote control, so you don't have to get up to switch devices. Also, personally, I'd disable "auto switching" on the switcher, if it is a feature. It doesn't usually work very well (unless someone here disagrees).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

As Jeff says, you need a switcher. There's no such thing as an HDMI "hub". Another option is to use an AV Receiver or a soundbar that has HDMI switching. While more pricey (although it can be kept reasonable) you can now have the option of multi-channel audio, either using 5 dedicated speakers, or using a soundbar that processes all 5 channels itself.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jackdinger
Level 7

thank you very much  for you help, I’ll see if my local Best Buy box store  has a switcher, or do  you recommend a different place to  purchase? Thank  you again
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

You'll probably have a greater selection and a much better price, on Amazon or Monoprice.com.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jackdinger
Level 7

hey Jeff thanks for the input

Re: the switch, I purchased a rocketfish RF-G1185 4 port switcher, I have 2 HDMI ports on the TV, I dedicated one of the ports to  the switch, and used the 3 inputs for my DVD player, the Roku  and my soon to be gone cable box... I had trouble pairing the remote, so I contacted Roku and worked with a tech....

I mentioned perhaps I should dedicate one of the ports to the Roku, after he mentioned they don’t recommend the Roku Ultra going through the switch?.. I did get the device up  and running, so my question now is, should I  HDMI  the switcher to  the remaining port, then HDMI the DVD player to an input on the switcher?

At the moment my DVD remote is the only remote that changes HDMI ports, which I don’t mind doing, but I’m wondering if there is a better way to configure this set up?

Again thanks for the help, much  appreciated
JD
0 Kudos
vitmanov
Level 7

I am planning to buy roku ultra,can I play Dolby Atmos movie through my hdd as I have Dolby Atmos compatible sound bar? Plex Kodi Lucky Patcher
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"vitmanov" wrote:
I am planning to buy roku ultra,can I play Dolby Atmos movie through my hdd as I have Dolby Atmos compatible sound bar? Plex Kodi Lucky Patcher

If you are referring to the Dolby TrueHD/Atmos track from a ripped Blu Ray or UHD disc, the answer is no. Roku does not support any of the lossless audio codecs. But Roku does support Atmos that is provided from online sources like Amazon or Vudu (I don't know if Netflix offers Atmos yet on a Roku), but this is a lossy Dolby Digital+ sound track. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos