Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shanam33
Level 7

Hook up to surround sound

I just bought the roku streaming stick. I have my surround sound hooked through my bluray DVD player. I have the stock plugged into the TV' S open hdmi port. My tv does not have a spot for the optical cord. Any idea how I can get the roku hooked to surround sound? Tia

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Hook up to surround sound

Not certain I follow. Is your Blu Ray player also your amplifier, i.e. it's a "home theater system"? If so, the only way you'll get surround sound is if the BD player has an HDMI input you can connect the Roku to. If your TV doesn't have optical out, there's no way to get the audio back to the amplifier. Perhaps I'm not completely understanding your configuration. How is the TV audio getting back to the amp?
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos