Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Help needed connecting roku streaming + to HDMI cable

I have a mounted television with the backside totally inaccessible.  A HDMI cable is connected to a port in the backside with this same cable extending some 10 feet through the wall into the backside of a cabinet.  What is needed to connect the HDMI cable in the cabinet to one of the two cables supplied in the streaming + box?  Customer service has not been able to answer this question.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 12

Re: Help needed connecting roku streaming + to HDMI cable

I'm guessing your mean a streaming stick+ which is meant to plug directly into a TV, so you would need an HDMI extension from the TV or an HDMI gender changer to make that work with a regular HDMI cable. There are a bunch of those on Amazon and ebay.  (Alternately, all the non-stick forms of Rokus are meant to plug into a regular HDMI cable, rather than directly into a TV.)

On the other hand there is also the older Roku Express+ which adds composite cables...

0 Kudos
Level 8

Thanks for your response but I'm still somewhat confused after looking at different types of gender changing cables.  If possible, I would like to keep my streaming Stick + and not buy an Express or other Roku where the HDMI could plug into the device.  But I can't connect the stick directly to the tv because of not having access to the back of the TV.  I could only connect the stick to the other end of a 10' foot HDMI male cable, one end of which is connected to a port in the back of the TV.  The other male end is near an electrical outlet where I have room to attach the stick.  If the distance involved or connections are going to interfere with the quality of picture/sound then it would not be worth pursuing.  I'm not at all technically oriented so any additional help on what type of cable I would need/how to go about this would be most appreciative.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Well, I've never used an HDMI cable more than about 6 feet long but that's only because I've never needed to.  However, I searched around and saw several sites saying 25' is fine, so I wouldn't worry about 10'.

I'm not sure what you mean by types of gender adapters but you want HDMI and probably female to female – look at the picture in comparison to what you have to be sure it's the right gender.  I've never had to use one myself, my Roku plugs into my Audio Video Receiver.

Actually, since it sounds like you have an "elaborate" setup, I can't help but wonder why the cable is not plugged into an AVR.  Ie: (Roku and other devices)  -> AVR -> (TV and Speakers).  To me, this is the typical "home theater" setup and wouldn't need a gender changer.  ie the AVR would serve as the gender changer (and switcher, and amplifier...)

Anyway, given the stipulation that I've never had to use one myself, I don't see why this one wouldn't work:

https://www.amazon.com/Cmple-HDMI-Coupler-Female-Plated/dp/B0041SH3WA

0 Kudos