Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Candlekathy
Reel Rookie

Hdcp not on tv

Jump to solution

I bought the roku premier and I guess my TV does not have hdcp. Is there anything I can do to make this work? Maybe something between the TV and roku? I thought any TV with a hdmi port would work.  Please help.  I canceled cable

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Hdcp not on tv? Confusing specs.

Jump to solution

According to this it supports HDCP 2.2.  I doubt there are many 4k TVs that don't.  What you're looking for is what happens when you try to stream 4k video.  It will either work or give you an HDCP error with a blank screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
WacoJohn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

I think I have the same problem.

Just received my new Express 4K+ today.  Says for best service, connect HDMI to a port that supports HDCP 2.2.  TV (VIZIO 507-G1) lists 4 ports:

Screenshot 2021-07-22 2.04.30 PM.png

as you can see ... 4 ports designated 2.0 (ARC, CEC), 

HDCP 2,2 is mentioned but I don't know which of the 4 ports is/are HDCP 2.2 capable per Roku requirement.  Is the spec suggesting Any/all qualify??

Each HDMI port is numbered on back of TV.  1 [ARC], 2, 3 and 4.  Hoping one of them is the best for the ROKU. Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

HDMI and HDCP are different things so they get different spec version levels.  I would just plug it into the most convenient port and expect it to work.  At worst, you can just move it to another port later.

0 Kudos
WacoJohn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the response and advice.  It is well taken.  'Whatever works' is a good motto. 

Thing is, how do I know if it is working or not if I don't know what I am looking for?  Is the conclusion my TV does or does not meet the Roku standard implied by Roku?  Sorry, .. don't mean to sound dense.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

According to this it supports HDCP 2.2.  I doubt there are many 4k TVs that don't.  What you're looking for is what happens when you try to stream 4k video.  It will either work or give you an HDCP error with a blank screen.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
WacoJohn
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thank you for the clarification.  I am now nicely educated.  Now need to find 'accept as solution'.

0 Kudos