Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bhadsock
Level 7

Have To Re Link and Setup Roku3 Often

I have had a Roku3 for a long time without issue.  Now for the past year, if I go some time without using it (several weeks), I have to go through the entire setup process and link to my account again.  Does anyone know how to avoid having to do this?  It is very frustrating and time consuming.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: Have To Re Link and Setup Roku3 Often

Setting up from scratch may be Overkill.

Try this:

• Restart your router, even if other devices have no problem connecting.
  • Restart you Roku.
  • Re-establish your net connection.

If that doesn't get it, try pulling the power plug for 30 seconds or so then repeating the net connection setup.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
bhadsock
Level 7

I have had those items done in the past, but the problem seems to be related to inactivity.  If I don't use the device for several weeks, that is when I am forced to go through the setup again.  It is hard wired to an Ethernet switch.  I do not have to setup a connection again, I have to "re link" the device to my account.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@bhadsock 

Thanks for the post.

How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
bhadsock
Level 7

The Roku is plugged into a wall outlet.  I have no problem using the Roku or setting it up.  The problem is that I have to set it up frequently.  I travel a fair amount and sometimes when I return, I have to go through the complete setup process and "re link" the roku before I can use it.  Functionally, the Roku works fine, it is just a pain having to go through the setup and "re link" process all the time.  I would be OK if the Roku just needed updates, but why do I have to go through the whole online re link process and answer all the questions again?  My account shows the device linked before making me do it again.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@bhadsock wrote:

The Roku is plugged into a wall outlet.  I have no problem using the Roku or setting it up.  The problem is that I have to set it up frequently.  I travel a fair amount and sometimes when I return, I have to go through the complete setup process and "re link" the roku before I can use it.  Functionally, the Roku works fine, it is just a pain having to go through the setup and "re link" process all the time.  I would be OK if the Roku just needed updates, but why do I have to go through the whole online re link process and answer all the questions again?  My account shows the device linked before making me do it again.

Quick question: is it coming up on the setup screen when you first use it, as if it was brand new out of the box? Or is just nothing working and you have to do a factory reset? 

Either way, just a guess on my part of course, but the Roku 3 is now well over 7 years old and it might just be failing. Since it won't run some of the newest channels, and its performance is well below a newer model, you might consider it time for an upgrade. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

@bhadsock wrote:

I have had a Roku3 for a long time without issue.  Now for the past year, if I go some time without using it (several weeks), I have to go through the entire setup process and link to my account again.  Does anyone know how to avoid having to do this?  It is very frustrating and time consuming.

What symptoms do you have when this happens?  Have you tried a simple restart instead of a full blown factory reset (Settings > System > System restart)?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos