Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
VoiceCrying
Level 7

HMDi connection hardware premiere

My first post got buried in the deep.

I have a brand new Samsung 4K TV.  Just received a ROKU Premiere. I have  had many years of happy experience with an older model. There are several HMDI connections on the TV, but only one of them supports the other requirements. Obviously I need to double up on that input (output?) Do I need a splitter or a switch? Do I need a 2-1 or a 1-2. Any help would  be appreciated including a point out on Amazon.  Will I need to go back and forth manually?

Also, the wireless connection is scary. Put an Ethernet hole on that baby!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: HMDi connection hardware premiere

You definitely need a switch and not a splitter.  I have seen them go both ways, but you want 2 (or more) in and 1 out.  Make sure you really need it.  If only one of your HDMI inputs supports 4k and/or HDCP 2.2 and you only have one 4k device then maybe you can move things around.  If you get a switch make sure it supports HDCP 2.2.  If the switch doesn't support automatically switching to its active input then you'll probably want one with a remote.  If it does support automatically switching then it also has to prioritize its inputs because a Roku is always on.  As an example, I have a switch with a Roku and my Blu-ray player connected.  The Roku is connected to a lower priority input so when I turn on the Blu-ray player the switch automatically switches to it and when I turn it off it automatically switches to the Roku.

I can't really recommend one because my switch is very cheap and doesn't support 4k.  One of these will probably do what you want:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=hdmi+hdcp+2.2+switch

Strega
Level 12

Also, If you want ethernet, look at the Ultra.

0 Kudos
VoiceCrying
Level 7

I have two 4K devices, the  AV receiver and the Roku. Can I run the Roku in to the AV receiver and then take all of the receiver  to the One workable TV port?

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

I run everything through my AV receiver.

0 Kudos
VoiceCrying
Level 7

But-----my AV receiver has HMDI outlets, but none of the fancy new qualifications. So if I run the Roku through the AV receiver, even though it will end up in the qualified TV HDMI, there will be a whole section of the link going through the unqualified route, thus negating the effect?

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

Oh.  Sorry, I've never tried that. It sounds like it has real potential for not working.  If you try it, I'd be interested in hearing the result!

0 Kudos
VoiceCrying
Level 7

So...basically the Premiere has little or no ability to function with 4K TV.  I  wish the company would make that clear in advertising. Same with the non-Ethernet connection.

I also see now that what I got was a 2019 product. Was this just a cheap attempt to clear the 2019 inventory?

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 12

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean.  I thought it was the receiver that possibly didn't do 4K.  You could try it and see if it passes through anyway, I have no idea.  The Ultra does ethernet. But if you run that through a receiver that doesn't, I think you'd be in the same boat as the one you have now (on the 4K.) I think that's the current Premier.  I don't think they rev them all every year.

0 Kudos