Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

HDMI vs USB

Jump to solution

My Sony TV has only 1 HDMI port. and 1 USB port. I received a gift of ROKU Premiere with only HDMI cables. I need to purchase a USB Cable bu was told it wont work as well. True or false. Its been suggested that I purchase a split for the HDMI port...is that best for streaming. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: HDMI vs USB

Jump to solution

No, it won't work sorry. You need a hdmi switch. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Level 19

Jump to solution

No, it won't work sorry. You need a hdmi switch. 

Edmund

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

While this is not the answer I was hoping for, I really appreciate your quick reply

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Jump to solution

The USB port on Premiere is only used as a power connection.  I don't know about the USB port on your Sony but the USB port on many tvs doesn't supply sufficient current to run a Roku reliably.  It is recommended you use the power converter that came with the unit, plugged into your house power.  If you don't have the original converter, most any USB converter you have on hand from a cell phone or other device will work, as long as the fine print on it indicates it will output at least 1 amp. 

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos