Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shivba
Level 7

Got a faulty Roku Ultra from Roku store

I purchased a Roku Ultra from the Roku store thinking I would get a reliable device but ended up with a defective Roku Ultra 4640 that does not display 1080 and above video reliably. Even for 720p, I get snowy picture.

I have tried connecting the Roku Ultra in the following two configurations with different high grade cables. In both configurations if I set the video to Auto detect, I get a snowy picture with flickering for 1080 and above. The problem can be seen consistently on both the configurations. 
Roku Ultra 4640 
Serial # YP00EC507535
OS 9.00 build 4084
Configuration 1 
Roku Ultra 
SONY Bravia 46EX400 (1080p)
- HDMI 1.4, HDMI with ARC
HDMI high speed & HDMI High speed with Ethernet cable
- Ultra connected on Wired and Wireless
Symptoms - Ultra boots up and starts correctly but screen flickers on both autodetect or any configuration above 1080. If forced to 720p, the picture is snowy but barely viewable.

Configuration 2
Roku Ultra
SONY Bravia XBR55AF8 (4K HDR)
- HDMI 2.0
HDMI high speed & HDMI highspeed with Ethernet cable
Ultra connected on Wired and Wireless

Symptoms - Ultra boots up and starts correctly but screen flickers on both autodetect or any configuration

I am surprised that Roku sold me a defective unit, which was confirmed when I got a 4K TV
My problem is similar to the one listed in https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=116238&p=594156&hilit=snowy+picture#p594156 but its more consistent on my unit.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Got a faulty Roku Ultra from Roku store

It's called a lemon, it happens. Return it for a new unit.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
shivba
Level 7

Thanks - will return it.

I have  Roku 3s that work just fine in both the configurations but was hoping the Ultra's 4K support will look much better. Hopefully the return experience is painless with Roku.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

"shivba" wrote:
Thanks - will return it.

I have  Roku 3s that work just fine in both the configurations but was hoping the Ultra's 4K support will look much better. Hopefully the return experience is painless with Roku.

Good luck.. if you have problems returning it, come back here to the forums and RokuShawn may be able to assist further.. usually though, if you're within 30 days of purchase, a return should be very easy.

Edit: In the future, I'd recommend buying from anywhere but Roku directly.. Target and Walmart have great return policies within 30 days, as does Amazon (except sometimes you get stuck paying return shipping, though Kohl's, at least in my city, is a free return dropoff site).
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miami_Son
Level 8

"shivba" wrote:
Thanks - will return it.

Understand that the 4K support only works if you have a TV that supports 4K and the content you are watching is in 4K. Having a Roku that supports 4K does nothing to improve the quality of 1080P content. The Roku will not upconvert it like some DVD players do, and it won't matter if your TV only does 1080P.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"shivba" wrote:
Thanks - will return it.

My return of a bad Ultra was painless. I provided the receipt showing it was within warranty period (1 year), and I got an RMA. I got my replacement within a week of sending the bad one back.

You might not be so lucky. You say your Roku is a 4640 you bought directly from Roku. If you’re in the U.S., that would be an interesting situation, as the 4640 was replaced by the 4660 in October 2017.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
shivba
Level 7

"Miami Son" wrote:
"shivba" wrote:
Thanks - will return it.

Understand that the 4K support only works if you have a TV that supports 4K and the content you are watching is in 4K. Having a Roku that supports 4K does nothing to improve the quality of 1080P content. The Roku will not upconvert it like some DVD players do, and it won't matter if your TV only does 1080P.

@Miami Son - I know that. I am stating the ROKU Settings->Video mode for both configurations which is the output coming out of the Roku regardless of content. This unit does not even output 1080. The SONY XBR55AF8 is a 4K OLED TV but the ROKU will not output any video signal that is displayable. 
0 Kudos
shivba
Level 7

"DBDukes" wrote:
"shivba" wrote:
Thanks - will return it.

My return of a bad Ultra was painless. I provided the receipt showing it was within warranty period (1 year), and I got an RMA. I got my replacement within a week of sending the bad one back.

You might not be so lucky. You say your Roku is a 4640 you bought directly from Roku. If you’re in the U.S., that would be an interesting situation, as the 4640 was replaced by the 4660 in October 2017.

Interesting, I bought it from Roku store around Nov 2017. Looks like they got rid of all the defective old units and I must have landed with one.
Will take JeffRok's advice into account and never buy from Roku directly. Its counter intuitive that a unit directly purchased from Roku is not reliable.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Wait, you had it for a year+, and it failed, and you referred to it as defective? I would not call that "defective" if you got a year's use out of it.. short-lived maybe but not not defective.
I seriously doubt the quality of the unit you bought from Roku directly did not differ from any other Roku bought from any other vendor.. I was just saying it might wiser to buy from a brick and mortar store for returns purposes, but since you're outside of the warranty period, it wouldn't matter WHERE you bought it from.
You just got unlucky this time around.
One thing you could try is replacing the power supply of the Ultra. Yes, they need to be bought from the Roku store. ;P
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
Miami_Son
Level 8

If it has an optical out it is a 4640. Otherwise, it is not. You sure you did not buy a refurbished unit? Hard to believe they would send you old stock for a new model.
0 Kudos