Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mandi_Renee
Level 7

Gifted a Roku 2 with no remote can’t get it connected to my WiFi?

One of my neighbors gifted me her Roku 2 that she no longer used but lost the remote. I can’t get it to connect to my WiFi. I already have a Roku TV and the Roku app on my phone but can’t get anything to get the Roku 2 to connect! I’m not very tech savvy so I have no idea how to get it up and running!! I have it connected to my TV and it shows the main Roku page but I can’t connect it to my WiFi.......HELP PLEASE!!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
renojim
Level 21

Re: Gifted a Roku 2 with no remote can’t get it connected to my WiFi?

Sorry, but you need a remote.  Your Roku TV remote won't work.  Go to any big box store and pick up a cheap universal remote that supports Roku.  Once you have it set up you can use the app as a remote, but not before.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee
Level 20

Nothing can be done without a working remote. Your roku tv uses a different code set then stand alone roku like roku 2. You just need a cheap universal remote with roku code.

Edmund
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

Be aware that "Roku 2" models are old technology and you will be limited somewhat. The last Roku with "2" in its name was released in 2015. They all still work but only the model 2720 (2013) and the 4210 (2015) are still receiving updates. Many of the newer channels were written for the capabilities of newer models and won't run on older ones, or may run without some features that were added to later versions of the channel apps. Plus the current models, even the budget Express (1080 max) and Premiere (up to 4K) models respond much more quickly than the older ones.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos