Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Getting Started With A Samsung TV

Jump to solution

I have a late 2015 Samsung TV that doesn't have Disney+ app support and the idea is I get a Roku to help this out.

Does Roku support older Samsung TVs with no issues and which product do I buy. I'm looking for the simplest device possible as it will be its sole purpose.

And not even sure how they work? Is there an app on the TV or? So confusing. hahah

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Getting Started With A Samsung TV

Jump to solution

@woodtype 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page here for more information about Roku devices: Do I need a special TV?

In regards to Disney+, you can review Disney+'s supported Roku device models here: https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=a168b614db4d40d03c0cf158bf96198e

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@woodtype 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We would recommend taking a look at our Support page here for more information about Roku devices: Do I need a special TV?

In regards to Disney+, you can review Disney+'s supported Roku device models here: https://help.disneyplus.com/csp?id=csp_article_content&sys_kb_id=a168b614db4d40d03c0cf158bf96198e

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

Jump to solution

No problem at all. My JU7100 is a '14 model, and until I replaced that Roku with a Shield it worked fine. I only replaced the Roku because I wanted lossless audio bitstreaming on that TV. In reality, as long as the TV supports 1080p over HDMI, there's no reason for any Roku player would not work. While Roku players also support 720p, there have been reports of problems with TVs that support 720p and 1080i (not 1080p). But almost anything from the last decade will likely be fine.

I have a smaller Vizio 1080p TV that I use as a secondary computer monitor, and occasionally plug my Premiere into it so it gets updates, and it works fine there as well. HDMI is an industry standard, so as long as the TV is compliant, there should be no issue with any Roku player. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos