Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiltmonster
Level 8

Finding the right TV for Roku and Vue

I am trying to put an additional, 24 inch TV, in my living room; to go along side my bigger set. I have limited space; but want a set that can stream by itself, on a separate internal Roku platform. I have a Roku Ultra for the big set; but want a small TV with built in Roku, for ease of use. So I can add it on to my current account, and activate it. My biggest problem seems to be, finding the size slot of 24 inches; for TV's with the Roku platform built in. From all my searching; it looks like SHARP and  Insignia are pretty much it; for a ready to go built in Roku TV. Perhaps there are some much higher end ones, but not looking to break the bank either. TCL starts at 28 inches, and gets a bit big for my limited space. My biggest objective, is to get Playstation Vue; which some other TV's offer through Chromecast. However, I don't really want to be going back and forth between two formats, and two accounts, and complicate things. It would be best if I could find a TV, with Roku platform built in.....or that could be added some way on some other sets; without buying sticks and boxes. Is there any way to get Roku via an app; on some other popular sets like LG or Vizio?? I am thinking no matter how I might do this; I am a slave to Chromcast sign-up and menus etc.....unless I get an official Roku TV, with Roku Platform? None of the brands like Hisense, Sharp, or Hitachi, or TCL, or RCA, Element etc; seem to have a 24inch Roku TV. Anyone, know of any other 24" Roku TV's, aside Sharp and Insignia? Or if there is a way to do what I want, with another brand TV. That being, make Roku my primary streaming service on both sets, with my one account; so both sets can stream different content at the same time.   

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Finding the right TV for Roku and Vue

No, there's no Roku app for some other TV. You appear to be correct that at 24" your only options are Insignia and Sharp. I just so happen to have a 24" Insignia Roku TV, as well as a 43" Sharp 4K Roku TV. I used the Insignia for several years, but I have recently replaced it with a Vizio TV and Roku Premiere box. While there was nothing bad about the Insignia, those small Roku TVs have lower powered processors and are a little sluggish compared to even the low priced Premiere 3920. There's another potential consideration. No 24" Roku TV has a higher resolution than 720. You can get a 1080 Vizio from Best Buy for about $130, then the Premiere for $39, or the Express for about $29. They all might be slightly cheaper on Amazon. 
My Sharp is a great TV, but because it's a 4K set it has a much faster processor and works as well as my Ultra, if not better. But you have no room for a 43" set.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

Also consider a Roku Stick with a non-Roku TV. As suggested, get a good quality TV and add the price of a Roku device and see if that's in budget. That avoids the low-end hardware that seems to come with smaller Roku TV sets.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
tiltmonster
Level 8

Thanks for the great response; exactly what I needed to know....and exactly along the lines I was looking at. I Have the Vizio with 1080P on my short list. I think now, it is between the Vizio D24f-F1) and adding a Roko stick; or buying the cheaper Sharp set with built in. Sounds like the cheaper sets, with the cheaper processors; will lag with most selections; slow aggravating transitions between functions. Madness! As long as I can get Vue on the Express stick; about$160 dollars will work very nice.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"tiltmonster" wrote:
Thanks for the great response; exactly what I needed to know....and exactly along the lines I was looking at. I Have the Vizio with 1080P on my short list. I think now, it is between the Vizio D24f-F1) and adding a Roko stick; or buying the cheaper Sharp set with built in. Sounds like the cheaper sets, with the cheaper processors; will lag with most selections; slow aggravating transitions between functions. Madness! As long as I can get Vue on the Express stick; about$160 dollars will work very nice.

I know it's not the exact Vizio I have, since mine is 720p, but I do believe you would be happier in the long run with a separate TV and Roku. My Premiere performs much better than the Insignia Roku TV did, although it was most noticeable with YouTube. In addition, if you ever use the TV for watching over the air, you have a remote with number buttons to directly access a specific channel. the only real downside is needing two separate remotes. The Roku Stick remote does have volume controls that can likely control the TV, but there's no mute button. It works via WiFi Direct, so you can hide the Stick out of sight. The Premiere does not have volume controls, and is IR only, so you need to keep line of sight for the remote to work. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
tiltmonster
Level 8

I got the Vizio D24F-f1 series set with 1080P resolution, and a Roku Express. However, two problems with this I am working on. The TV, has some connections I have never seen, and appear no place else I can find. Ever heard of a single 3.5mm mic jack; that takes a component video.....or shared composite signal, via an adapter chord?? Two funky connections on this TV, but both appear to be inputs. Tech says, the two green connections are for older equipment, but would not elaborate. The TV menu has an input for comp; which seems the only input left that applies. I am not sure I got the correct info on what these connections are for; but the only audio out besides the HDMI return, is the headphone jack; and then going into speaker menu, and changing them from  auto, to always on or on. This will work, but a long way getting there. TV, is decent, good picture. Now the remotes for Roku; yes I had conflict chaos I am still working on. Craziness. My Roku Ultra remote, that I programed into a universal remote with macros. Turned the small set on, when I turned the big set-up off. If the small set was off. I took the Wi-Fi remote that came with the Roku Ultra, and used the battery button to assign it again; and that stopped that remote from operating the Roku express box. But the other remote that came with the Express plus; works both sets causing chaos. Looks like I am going to have to get another Wi-Fi remote, and assign the Express Plus to that. I have read; that the Wi-fi remotes for the sticks, are not cross compatible with the boxes. So this means buying a Roku Premier plus; using the assignable remote on the small TV next to the big one.............and then taking the IR remote I have now controlling both, and use it with the Premiere box on a back room set later. This has been crazy hard, but I think it will eventually work nice. Now that the TV earjack, can give me a reliable audio out; probably didn't need the express+ audio jacks, but nice to have them. So another chord for the earjack out, and a third Roku; should solve this. Did I mention the TV bracket was blocking the connections. Had to screw that to a fence, and sawzal the corner off real nice. I do like the TV set; but a lot of issues with this particular double Roku operation, and funky TV connections, and bracket I chose, for such a small TV. As long as it works, I am good. Thanks very much for the input! It was helpful.       
0 Kudos