Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
douggles
Level 7

Factory reset ... without a TV

Howdy. I've used and liked my Roku 3 for several years, but I'm no longer using it and I want to sell it. To do so, I need to do a factory reset. But I've already unplugged and boxed up the TV, and I really don't want to set it up again just to do a reset. Can I do a factory reset with *only* the remote control, or via the web?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
twiceover
Level 10

Re: Factory reset ... without a TV

I *believe* if you remove it from your account, next time it is turned on it will factory reset since it isn't attached to an account.  But no guarantees on that.
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 11

You can power on the Roku 3, and while doing so, hold down the reset button for 20+ seconds.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

I just completed a Factory Reset on a Roku Streaming Stick I am giving away.  To make doubly sure that all my channels and personal information is gone, I Unlinked that particular device from my Roku account first by going to my own Roku Account page on their website (roku.com) scrolling down to LInk A Device, selecting the particular device in question, then unlinked it.  I then pulled the batteries out of the remote to stop the remote from trying to relink itself again.  After that I did a complete Factory Reset from that device's own menu using my smartphone's virtual remote,  End of service for the device at my house.  

I prefer to err on the side of caution when I am no longer the owner of any given device.  After all, it's not the device that's important, it's the already-paid-for app/channels, credit card information, and other personal identification information either stored directly in, or accessible online, via the given device of which I am protective of-and other people coveted very much for their own selfish, nefarious reasons.

In your case, you should reconsider going through the hassle of getting that television out before resale.  Your sensitive information just might fall into the wrong hands.  Sad reality of the present state of the world.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I agree with Iona-D. Unlink the device from your Roku account on their web site, then do a hard system reset on the device itself. Removing the remote batteries was overkill  Smiley LOL but you can be sure all your personal information has been removed from the device by taking both steps. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Iona-D
Level 9

"atc98092" wrote:
I agree with Iona-D. Unlink the device from your Roku account on their web site, then do a hard system reset on the device itself. Removing the remote batteries was overkill  Smiley LOL but you can be sure all your personal information has been removed from the device by taking both steps. 

*******Reply********
Not quite the way you mean concerning the remote batteries removal.  I removed the batteries because the remote would automatically try to reconnect with the stick device even after I wiped it.  I wanted to keep the remote from pairing with it as it will be repaired with another television at it's new location, not anything to do with previous encoded information.  My own television stays here!
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

I'm just saying that having the Roku remote paired would have made no difference on the reset. The remote contains no account information, so there's no need to disable it during a reset. 
Unless you're referring to a non-Roku remote that was paired to it, in which case I can see the point. But still, resetting the Roku would remove any 3rd party remote pairing. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi all, 

Plugging the Roku device into power, then following the steps here (using the hardware button method) will allow you to fully factory reset the device. 

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008-how-do-i-factory-reset-my-roku-streaming-device-

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos