Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caspiantetris
Level 7

Factory Sealed box with Roku streaming stick + has used product inside

I purchased a Roku streaming stick + today from Target in Columbia, SC. The package was factory sealed.

Imagine my surprise when I plugged the device into my TV and found that someone’s credit card, Prime and Netflix we’re pre-programmed into the stick, and no amount of me attempting a factory reset would actually delete the information. 

Is Roku actively “refurbishing” or “recycling” their products and repackaging them as new?

2 Replies
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Factory Sealed box with Roku streaming stick + has used product inside

That's strange, since a factory-reset would/should in fact de-link it from any account the device has been linked to - it would have be to activated & linked again for any of that to show up.

Are you sure you did a factory-reset?

Either:

1) Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Factory Reset (enter displayed code then OK)

2) Press and hold the reset button on the device for 20-30 seconds (with the power on).

https://support.roku.com/article/208757008

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
CarrieM
Level 7

Re: Factory Sealed box with Roku streaming stick + has used product inside

I just bought 4 brand new Roku sealed in packaging from Sam’s Club. When I went to set up the last one it had someone else credit card, name, Netflix HBO Max & Hulu already programmed in. Beware if you return a Roku without doing a factory reset they apparently refurbish and sell back as new. The next person have free range to all your Roku stuff including your credit card.

0 Kudos