Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Laura7
Level 7

Express won't restart after update

I just bought a new roku express and during the setup process, it said it had to update and would restart automatically.  After updating, it looks like it's going to restart and the roku logo comes up for 1 second and then the screen goes black.  I've tried with a different wire and 3 different TVs and the problem happens with everything. I've even tried several factory resets and still the same thing. I tried to call support but no phone support was available for this model. Any suggestions? or should I just try to exchange it?
0 Kudos
23 Replies
Basil
Level 10

Re: Express won't restart after update

An exchange might be in order. However, try resetting by holding down the reset button for no less than 30 seconds. I say again, no less than 30 seconds. No less than 30 seconds.

That might not resolve the problem, but until you do a reset that way, you've not done a reset. It's just how it is.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
craleckson
Level 7

Mine is doing the same thing, did you come up with a solution or should I exchange it?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"craleckson" wrote:
Mine is doing the same thing, did you come up with a solution or should I exchange it?

Did you hold down the reset button for a full 30 seconds?
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
PotatoMan
Level 7

Yes, it won’t restart. The light is on, but nothing is going to the TV. It is brand new.
I have unplugged it and plugged it back in. It goes through the getting started/update cycle and then doesn’t come back on. I have swapped HDMI cable ends and swapped cables. I have done short and long (30 second +) resets. Nothing is working. This is for my grandmother’s tv and I am not here to keep working on it or give constant tech support. Should I just return it?
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

"PotatoMan" wrote:
Yes, it won’t restart. The light is on, but nothing is going to the TV. It is brand new.
I have unplugged it and plugged it back in. It goes through the getting started/update cycle and then doesn’t come back on. I have swapped HDMI cable ends and swapped cables. I have done short and long (30 second +) resets. Nothing is working. This is for my grandmother’s tv and I am not here to keep working on it or give constant tech support. Should I just return it?

Maybe. What I'm not hearing is that you confirmed the HDMI input works for other stuff. It could be the HDMI input is defective. If the TV has multiple inputs, try another one. And, if you have another device (Blu-Ray, etc) that uses HDMI, or can bring one to her house, you can confirm the HDMI input is working.

If the HDMI can be confirmed as working then, yes, I'd suggest returning the Roku. Since a Roku Express is normally a great little device, you might want to swap it out and see if another works well rather than simply returning it.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
0 Kudos
Ahmed977
Level 7

Was forced to update the device as no channels/apps would work, Netflix/BBC having errors codes. After the update stuck in the loop. Same issues here. Did any one found a fix as all the troubleshooting steps have already been taken with 0 results.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Ahmed977" wrote:
Same issue here. Did any one found a fix as all the troubleshooting steps have already been taken with 0 results.

I understand you said "all," but it would be helpful to actually spell them out. Sometimes, the order of the steps matter. Sorry if that's a pain, but troubleshooting often is.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
Ahmed977
Level 7

Resetting the device through the pinhole. Holding for more than 30 seconds. The device starts up fresh- on the second step after connecting to the internet it requires an update, finished the update and restarts once with Roku logo for less than a second and restarts again without any signal to the tv.

The other troubleshooting steps include taking of the power cable for 10 mins and replugging, the batteries, the cables, the power adapter, another tv and resetting the remote by taking off the batteries and pressing each key.

EDIT: Tried different WiFi networks too.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 10

"Ahmed977" wrote:
Resetting the device through the pinhole. Holding for more than 30 seconds. The device starts up fresh- on the second step after connecting to the internet it requires an update, finished the update and restarts once with Roku logo for less than a second and restarts again without any signal to the tv.

The other troubleshooting steps include taking of the power cable for 10 mins and replugging, the batteries, the cables, the power adapter, another tv and resetting the remote by taking off the batteries and pressing each key.

That's good troubleshooting right there. You've done this before.

Gotta ask, though. What started it all? Why the factory reset to begin with? What was the first symptom? And what happened from that to your doing a factory reset?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos