Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hodges2019
Reel Rookie

Express stick factory reset

Jump to solution

I did a factory reset on my express stick and my mobile app cannot find the device to make it pass the first step (English) of setting it up. Any advice? The mobile remote worked just fine before the factory reset. I have a TCL remote, but it won't pair without getting into settings.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Re: Express stick factory reset

Jump to solution

@Hodges2019

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that if you are trying to setup a Roku device, you will need a physical remote.

If you need a replacement remote, you can purchase a compatible remote on our Products page

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Hodges2019

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please be aware that if you are trying to setup a Roku device, you will need a physical remote.

If you need a replacement remote, you can purchase a compatible remote on our Products page

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Hodges2019-

Factory reset clears out everything from the Roku's memory and puts it into a new-just-out-of-the-box condition.  You've erased all the network connection information so you need to set the net connection up again.  For setup you must use a physical remote because the Roku app on a phone can only connect to a Roku that is ALREADY set up and connected to the network.

Any inexpensive universal infrared (IR) remote you find at a local store will do, as long as it says it can be used with Roku devices. (All Roku devices use the same set of IR commands.  Roku TVs use a different set of IR commands so you don't want an IR remote for Roku TV's.)  You might even be able to borrow an IR Roku remote for this from a friend who has one -- again, as long as it's not a Roku TV remote.

The Express can also be controlled by any Roku Voice Remote model which you can find at many retailers and online stores.  These are point-anywhere wifi remotes that must be paired to your Roku and which can also control the power and volume of most TVs (instructions in the box).

And by the way, you might confuse people by calling an Express a "stick". Roku has several "Streaming Stick" models that look basically like this:

Roku Streaming Stick+Roku Streaming Stick+

.. with a male HDMI plug extending from one end that can be plugged directly into an HDMI port on a tv without without the use of an HDMI cord.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos