Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dewey454
Reel Rookie

Express set-up - rejection of known valid WIFI password

I purchased an Express yesterday and proceeded to attempt to set it up. It rejected numerous entries of my known valid WIFI password. It's the same password I use to connect all the other devices on the same WIFI network (laptop, tablets, phone, and an older Roku device too). The problem persisted after multiple full restarts and factory resets of the device.

Thinking I had a bad device, I bought another Express today, intending to return the first once the current virus situation passes. Lo and behold, the second device showed the same symptoms.

Out of curiosity I decided to try starting the device connected to my iPhone personal hotspot. I was able to connect the second Express that way and got an initial software update but stopped there because, obviously, I want to connect through my WIFI, not my phone.

As I said the WIFI password I'm using is known to be valid; it's right off the back of the router and used by other devices. Is password length a known issue? My WIFI password is 18 characters but the iPhone's is only 13 characters.

What should I try next?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Express set-up - rejection of known valid WIFI password

I don't know if password length can be an issue. I HAVE read of people having problems with passwords containing non-alphanumeric characters, though.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
dewey454
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the input but my WIFI password is alphanumeric - no special characters and nothing outside of the standard US alphabet.

mock

I forget my password to my roku I have  I am trying to set up my roku express plus  how do I find my password

0 Kudos
LK
Reel Rookie

I’m having the same problem—my valid WiFi password was rejected. Like you, I was able to connect using my phone hotspot. Tried ‘Network connection reset’ under advanced system settings, and was able to get the roku to accept my password and connect to WiFi. However, the connection dropped a few hours later and i’m back to having my valid WiFi password rejected. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@mock 

Thanks for the post.

If you need assistance resetting your Roku account password, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page here: How do I access my Roku account if I forgot my email address or password?

If you need assistance resetting your Roku account PIN, we would recommend taking a look at our Support page here: How do I create or update the PIN for my Roku account?

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@LK 

Thanks for the post.

Have you tried performing a factory reset on your device and then trying to see if you are able to connect to your wireless network?

For more information about how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
rrogers0613
Reel Rookie

I just received and had my roku 4k hdr tv mounted.  I am having the same issue and it is frustrating as all get-up.  The tech personnel that mounted the tv and set everything up stated that it appears the Roku tv can not find my internet signal...or whatever.  Advised me to purchase a wifi extender/booster and where to place in home.  Well purchased that and also did the same thing in connecting with my personnel hotspot. I was able to connect with my personnel hotspot and went through 4 updating software rounds.  I also connected the  Roku to the ethernet and unable to connect.  With the extender unable to connect.  My laptop, firestick, iPhone, and tablet are all connected with the same password that is on the back of the router.  Why is this tv not connecting?  I keep getting error code 14.50, 14, and 14.4.  EVERYTHING else is working put the tv.  

Even went to the link to update the tv via USB and it couldn't find my Roku model based on what the tv said the model number was.  

0 Kudos
jazzer94
Channel Surfer

I'm now receiving a 14.50 error on an express+ (that was purchased directly from Roku about 3 weeks ago) that updated to 9.3 on Friday.  The unit was working ok on Friday and Saturday but all streams seemed to be buffering and pixelating much more often and having a lot of troubles. Today, Sunday, the unit worked for approximately 15 minutes and then disconnected from the network.  I then began receiving the 14.50 error.  Restarting the Roku and Router multiple times did not solve the problem.  I then did a factory reset of the unit and not only can I not connect to the router, but I can't do anything else.  Without a network connect to finish the setup, the device is unusable.

I was able to find the hidden menu #1 which allowed me to update the software, even though I was being told that there was no internet connection.  This sounds like there is a major bug within the update since my unit is reporting no internet connection but is able to receive updates.  The unit did do an update but since the connection issue persists, 

I own 5 different units and all of the other units are working correctly (including the Roku 2).  Along with the numerous complaints online and in your forum about the 9.3 update and that I have 5 other units that are working correctly, this is a bug that is making this unit useless.  

Version:519.30E04170A, Build Date: 20200530 02:11, S/N:TG008T437077, Device ID: C53958437077

0 Kudos
LK
Reel Rookie

To solve the problem of no network connection: if you have an iphone, you can create a hotspot and use that to connect the Roku device. That's what I needed to do. Once I got that far, I still had problems connecting the Roku to my router. I got a message saying the password was invalid, but that was clearly not the case. Eventually, I solved the problem and got the Roku to work by repositioning a few feet closer to the router! By contrast, my old Roku worked fine in no matter where it was positioned. This new model must be finicky in picking up the router signal. Good luck getting yours up and running!

0 Kudos