Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Express Recognises wifi but just keeps returning to the language screen on setup

I just received a new Roku Express. Settting up it recognises the wifi network and accepts the password. Then it returns to the "choose your language" screen and just keeps going round in circles, I can't get beyond that stage. Any ideas?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Recognises wifi but just keeps returning to the language screen

Sounds like factory reset is in order, with roku powered, there's pinhole in the back of express, use pin, pen or screwdriver depress for at least 50 seconds.

Edmund
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it did not do the trick. I got a replacement from Amazon with exactly the same problem. It is connecting to the network ok (I tested this with an incorrect password and I got a message saying it could not connect) but just keeps returning to the "lets get started" language selection screen. I tried it on 2 different TVs (Samsung and LG) also 2 different networks but same problem. I guess it will have to go back too, maybe get a firestick instead.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Userod 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network or mobile hotspot to see if you can connect and setup your device that way.

Please keep us posted and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thanks Danny, I had tried e-booting both the roku device and the router. Also the factory reset recommended by an earlier contributor. Also tried on 2 different TVs (different brands) and also 2 different networks. Even got someone to observe what I was doing in case it was me missing something. I am not sure it should be so difficult to set up one of these things! Anyway it has been returned and replaced with an Amazon firestick which I was able to set up with no problems in about 10 minutes.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The fact that my replacement suffered exactly the same problems suggests that there is maybe a batch out in the market with faulty software / firmware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

What I noticed was after it restarts, the bouncing Roku screen comes up, then it restarts again. The bouncing Roku comes up again, then after the screen flashes, with a color bar and then it goes into a setup mode. Then the whole thing starts again.

I would return mine, but the store I bought it from had a display tray, so I'll probably have the same problem with a replacement.  I'd rather Roku send me a replacement, one that has been tested and with updated firmware.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

My Roku Express finally updated. I used a spare router I use for my Job site when I setup CCTV cams. I setup my router to have no password, temporarily.  Went through setup, downloaded the latest firmware and restarted. To my amazement it worked.  I then moved the Roku to the location I wanted to use it and connect to the regular router (the one that previously kept looping) and it worked fine.

I don't know if there was a recent update on the server. I had one theory that the ports may be blocked preventing the update to reconnect to the link server.

0 Kudos