Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BajaArizonaSam
Channel Surfer

Downloading the PBS Passport app

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
BajaArizonaSam
Channel Surfer

Re: Downloading the PBS Passport app

Jump to solution
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@BajaArizonaSam 

Streaming Channels is on the Roku device menu.

roku-menu-channels.jpgI'm guessing you were not on your Roku, as there's no "My Account" page on your Roku device.

Just to be clear, you do have a Roku device, right? You said you did, but then it seems you went to the Roku Website, not the Roku main menu on the device as instructed. You usually don't need to go to the Roku Webpage unless you need to do account maintenance. This isn't that. This is simply adding apps, and that can be done from the device itself.

Once you have the PBS app installed, launch the app. Mine's already set up, so I'm going on memory here, but I believe it will offer the option to pick your location. It may or may not refer you to https://pbs.org/ to connect your app to your PBS account. It will also want you to pick your local station. If not, you can scroll down to My Station and set it that way.

You'll also see the Passport icon (circled in this following image) that lets you know what is Passport content.

pbs-passport-icon.jpg

Once you click on one of those, if the account-app connection isn't complete, you'll be prompted with instructions on how to set that up. It's not the most clear set of instructions, or wasn't when I set mine up, so read carefully and follow the instructions carefully. Everything you do should be either from the app on Roku, and with the PBS.org Website.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@BajaArizonaSam 

It's simply the PBS app. Within the app, you'll see items with a compass icon on them that are part of the Passport content. You would need to ensure that you are donating $5/month, or $60/year one time, to qualify for access to Passport content.

After you set that up, it'll take a couple of days for everything to work. PBS ain't quick about stuff.

DBDukes

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
BajaArizonaSam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@BajaArizonaSam 

You have a Roku device, right? It runs applications, often called apps. Roku calls them "channels" but they're simply apps. An app can be a program that runs on a device, such as your phone. Or, it can be something on your computer (think Microsoft Edge browser, that's an app; Google Chrome browser, that's an app; Microsoft Word, that's an app; Solitaire, that's an app; MIne Sweeper, that's an app; the list goes on and on). And it's something that runs on a device such as Roku.

Roku runs apps. Netflix is an app. Hulu is an app. Prime Video is an app. PBS is an app. And so on. There are thousands, literally thousands of apps you can run.

On your Roku, on the home page, there's an item on the left listed as "Streaming Channels." That's where the apps are.

When you click that, scroll down to Search Channels. Go there.

Type in PBS. It and similar apps will appear in the right part of the window. Go there.

Click on PBS. If you don't already have it installed, you'll get the option to Add channel. That's how you add an app.

Once you add the app, you'll get the option to "Go to channel" which will open the app.

You'll want to log in with your PBS account that you use at https://pbs.org/ to connect your app to your account. That may take a couple of days.

DBDukes

0 Kudos
BajaArizonaSam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
BajaArizonaSam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
BajaArizonaSam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
DBDukes

Jump to solution

@BajaArizonaSam 

Streaming Channels is on the Roku device menu.

roku-menu-channels.jpgI'm guessing you were not on your Roku, as there's no "My Account" page on your Roku device.

Just to be clear, you do have a Roku device, right? You said you did, but then it seems you went to the Roku Website, not the Roku main menu on the device as instructed. You usually don't need to go to the Roku Webpage unless you need to do account maintenance. This isn't that. This is simply adding apps, and that can be done from the device itself.

Once you have the PBS app installed, launch the app. Mine's already set up, so I'm going on memory here, but I believe it will offer the option to pick your location. It may or may not refer you to https://pbs.org/ to connect your app to your PBS account. It will also want you to pick your local station. If not, you can scroll down to My Station and set it that way.

You'll also see the Passport icon (circled in this following image) that lets you know what is Passport content.

pbs-passport-icon.jpg

Once you click on one of those, if the account-app connection isn't complete, you'll be prompted with instructions on how to set that up. It's not the most clear set of instructions, or wasn't when I set mine up, so read carefully and follow the instructions carefully. Everything you do should be either from the app on Roku, and with the PBS.org Website.

DBDukes

0 Kudos