Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daldude786
Level 8

Don't know how to activate device

Roku is so primitive and illogical in how if you don't activate your device before the time limit on the Activation Link expires you have to do a factory reset losing all the channels you set up and payment method and pin number and possibly any links to your cable or satellite provider that allows you to watch your local channels live on your Roku Device. So you have to try to remember what channels you set up since you can't just restore them if there is even that option since you never linked your new device to your account.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
optikhog
Level 13

Re: Roku so primitive and illogical

Solution: activate your device.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@daldude786 wrote:

Roku is so primitive and illogical in how if you don't activate your device before the time limit on the Activation Link expires you have to do a factory reset losing all the channels you set up and payment method and pin number and possibly any links to your cable or satellite provider that allows you to watch your local channels live on your Roku Device. So you have to try to remember what channels you set up since you can't just restore them if there is even that option since you never linked your new device to your account.

That doesn't make sense. You can't set up your channels or other things on a device until it's been linked to an account. Once a device is linked to a user account, whatever channels that account has added are automatically added to the new device. Yes, you have to enter your login credentials on channels that require it, but everything else is done for you. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
daldude786
Level 8

I can't because the activation link expired and I don't see my new device on my account, just my old one I bought 8 years ago so I could not have already activated it. If I used a user id other than the one I used on my old device how do I find what user ID I used on the new one?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@daldude786 wrote:

I can't because the activation link expired and I don't see my new device on my account, just my old one I bought 8 years ago so I could not have already activated it. If I used a user id other than the one I used on my old device how do I find what user ID I used on the new one?

I'm still not following you. Until a device is registered/linked to a user account, you can't do anything with it. Now if you had previously linked the device to a different account, that account email address will appear under the System/About menu option. However, there is no way to change the account the device is linked to without doing a factory reset and setting it up from scratch. One might not like having to do that, but it's really a good thing for security purposes. 

Dan

0 Kudos
daldude786
Level 8

I just figured it out, the email I used is a .com instead of a .net like it should be, but this still makes no sense because I was sent the welcome message to my email with the .net address.

Then I guess where it says email address when you log in is really your user ID?

Is there any way to transfer my new device on the different account to my old account and if so is it possible to transfer the channels on my old device to my new one? There are channels on my old device I can't find in the streaming channels or TV Channels or when I do a search and these channels on my old device still work so they are not discontinued channels.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Yes, your user ID is the email address used for your Roku user account.

No, there's no way to transfer anything between accounts. This includes both devices and channels. 

Dan

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 15

When it comes to defining user account names at websites, nearly all used to ask for a user name of your choice.  However, because some people couldn’t remember those, many/most now ask for your email address.  However, many sites don't use it as email – it's just an account name that they hope you can remember.

On the other hand, when you set up a roku and it asks for an email to send the link to, that has to be an actual email address.  While I haven't actually tried this, I suspect this address doesn't have to be connected in any way to your roku account – I think it's just a way to avoid having you type a like URL on your computer.  (Which causes problems for some people.)

I ASSUME that regardless of the email address you give it, if you are already logged in at Roku, it will link to that account.  If not, just login with whatever you have given Roku as your user name. (I assume this works regardless of whether this matches the email address that to which the link was sent.)

(I haven't actually tested these assumptions – has anyone?)

So, if you now have 2 accounts, then I'm not sure what you do about that.  I assume you can unlink it from the new account, then relink it to the original account.  Again, just guessing.  Perhaps someone has tried such things.

0 Kudos