Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
nbyngo
Level 7

Does my tv have to be a Roku or can I use any others?

Jump to solution

[post moved to appropriate board]

I did ask about this a few days ago but haven't received any replies.  I just don't understand if I can use any kind of tv & buy a Roku streaming device to plug into a HDMI?  Do I HAVE to buy a Roku tv?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 16

Re: Does my tv have to be a Roku or can I use any others?

Jump to solution

As mentioned, you can connect a Roku player to any display with HDMI inputs that supports 720p, 1080p or 4K (2160p). It can be a TV or a computer display, as long as it has HDMI inputs and supports the necessary resolutions. 

Roku TVs simply use the Roku OS as their main operating system, and offer everything a Roku player does. They all have at least one HDMI input, so you can connect a Blu Ray player, or any other HDMI device for use. Yes, you could even plug a Roku player into a Roku TV, but it's not really necessary. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
DvST8_
Level 7

Jump to solution

https://support.roku.com/article/227917827-do-i-need-a-special-tv-

Yes a Roku streaming device will work with most TVs see the link above.
Roku TVs have a Roku built in so you probably wouldn't buy a separate Roku streaming device to use with it.

Roku TV - TCL 65R625
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

As mentioned, you can connect a Roku player to any display with HDMI inputs that supports 720p, 1080p or 4K (2160p). It can be a TV or a computer display, as long as it has HDMI inputs and supports the necessary resolutions. 

Roku TVs simply use the Roku OS as their main operating system, and offer everything a Roku player does. They all have at least one HDMI input, so you can connect a Blu Ray player, or any other HDMI device for use. Yes, you could even plug a Roku player into a Roku TV, but it's not really necessary. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
nbyngo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi.  Thank you for your reply.  I have a Sharp 55" 4K UHD Smart TV Model LC-55N6003u, purchased June, 2018.  I should mention that I am a senior (lol).  Just to confirm, my tv will work?  I live in Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada.  Besides the HDMI, what else do I need?  What would be the best device to buy?  Thank you so much again.  Have a great day.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

Jump to solution

@nbyngo wrote:

Hi.  Thank you for your reply.  I have a Sharp 55" 4K UHD Smart TV Model LC-55N6003u, purchased June, 2018.  I should mention that I am a senior (lol).  Just to confirm, my tv will work?  I live in Carleton Place, Ontario, Canada.  Besides the HDMI, what else do I need?  What would be the best device to buy?  Thank you so much again.  Have a great day.

No problem. I'm a senior too! Smiley Happy Yes, your TV is a recent model with 4K support. So you can use any Roku player, although obviously a 4K model would be preferable. The Ultra is currently half price ($50) in the US, but I don't know what prices are in Canada. When I bought a Premiere about 6 months ago, it came with an HDMI cable, but I don't know if the Ultra comes with one. The Stick+ is also a good choice, but it is WiFi only. With the Ultra, you can connect it to a wired network. 

Just remember that overall you'll still need to use two remotes, one for the TV and one for the Roku. Now the Roku remote has the ability to control some of the TV's functions, such as volume and power. But you'll still need the TV remote to watch OTA TV, change inputs, reach the TV's settings menu, and stuff like that. 

Dan
0 Kudos