Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Does ROKU Replace cable or satelitte

Okay simple question.... Does ROKU "REPLACE" cable or satellite?

I want to watch some specific channels but the cable/satellite folks keep jacking up the price.

WITHOUT cable or satellite - with ROKU - can I watch channels like  HGTV, Discovery channel, SYFY, DIY, History Channel, etc?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 20

Re: Does ROKU Replace cable or satelitte

@CatLadyBR wrote:

Okay simple question.... Does ROKU "REPLACE" cable or satellite?

I want to watch some specific channels but the cable/satellite folks keep jacking up the price.

WITHOUT cable or satellite - with ROKU - can I watch channels like  HGTV, Discovery channel, SYFY, DIY, History Channel, etc?

A qualified yes. you will find many, but likely not all, channels that you have on cable/satellite are available on a Roku. However, you have to be cautious about how you subscribe to them. If you go ala carte and sign up for each individually, you might end up paying more than you do now. Don't forget that you still have to have Internet access, so if you get that from cable you still need that portion. 

The ting to do is to research the different ways to view your desired channels. There are options such as Sling TV, YouTube TV, and some others that still allow you to view a number of "cable" channels. And their pricing is most likely better than your current supplier. But again, make sure you include all the costs.

For my family, we found that of the 300+ channels we received over Dish Network, we watched about 4 of them, and even those weren't important to us. Since our Internet is over DSL, I could completely remove cable/satellite from my home and just stream online. Our sources were Netflix and Amazon Prime for the most part. Of course, Netflix doesn't offer any access to "cable" channels, but Amazon does offer some. For us, we had no interest in the actual broadcast channels, and instead just watch available TV shows and movies. I also have converted one of my computers into a media server, and have ripped all my DVDs and Blu Rays to the hard drives. I also have a computer with a TV tuner and occasionally record something over the air, edit the commercials out, then store it on the server. We can now watch anything we want, any time we want, on any TV in the house. We use Roku, DLNA enabled Blu Ray players, and an Nvidia Shield as our players of choice. 

We also ended up cancelling Netflix, for several reasons. We didn't watch much on it any more, the price hikes just kept coming, and the auto-play of preview videos just annoyed the heck out of me. And since we have Amazon Prime mostly for the free shipping, the online streaming is just a bonus. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Does ROKU Replace cable or satelitte

Thanks for the straight answers.  I am just getting started and about to drop DISH network.  We do have Prime and Netflicks.  I would like to watch PBS and Jeopardy.  That's it from the networks.  Hopefully, I will be still be able to get this programming.

Thanks, again!

~ kewlkiki

0 Kudos