Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AshTray900
Channel Surfer

Does Anyone Know How To Remove The Suggestion Box On The Right Off

Testing on one of my roku ultra devices, I have turned off all 3 home screen settings (shortcuts, featured free, and movie and tv store) yet that stupid box is still there to the right of my channels. Sometimes I think I must roll over on the remote or something because a random channel gets installed without my permission and I have disabled the screen saver that has those links in it and am using the aquarium one so I know it’s not coming from the default screen saver

5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Does Anyone Know How To Remove The Suggestion Box On The Right Off

That stupid box is an advertisement.  Sorry, but there's no way to get rid of it.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
mattpotthoff
Channel Surfer

I find some of that content offensive and inappropriate for my children. Is there any way to flag it?

renojim

@mattpotthoff, there's lots of complaints about the Home Screen ads.  Roku really needs to do something about it.  The only way to get rid of it is to look into some kind of ad-blocking service which is separate from Roku and may cause problems of its own.

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
DBDukes

@mattpotthoff 

As @renojim indicated, there's nothing in place today about it. Roku does have a Submit a feature page where you could suggest an advertising rating system with user options to filter based on ratings. Whether or not it would lead to anything, I have no idea. But, the more official requests they get about it, the higher its visibility.

DBDukes
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
mattpotthoff
Channel Surfer

Thanks!  I found a way to block it. Set static ip for roku, block outbound TCP port 53.  Use OpenDNS and block the ad urls then change the dns settings on the router.  It works for me, just leaves a blank box instead of an inappropriate ad.  (I followed someone else's directions I found online - I didn't come up with this on my own.)

0 Kudos