Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CarlLoeffel
Level 7

Do I need a converter to attach roku to my hdmi jacks?

I have an older tv that has hdmi jacks that are rca plugs, ie the colored single pronged hole. It does not have the many-pinned attachment port.  Will the roku stick that I have ordered come with the appropriate connectors?  Or will I need to purchase a converter?  If so, what is the exact type of converter I need.  I viewed something on amazon that was 30 bucks and before I buy this I want to make sure that it is the correct product and whether I even need to buy one.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
Strega
Level 15

Re: Do I need a converter to attach roku to my hdmi jacks?

Before HDMI, there were composite (3 connectors) and component (5 connectors) video connections.  I don’t think any current model of Roku comes with anything to support those.  There used to be a specific Roku model that was intended for old composite TVs but I think that has been discontinued.  

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-express-plus-2018

I just browsed some converters on Amazon.  I would say read the reviews, and make use of Amazon's returns if necessary.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Do I need a converter to attach roku to my hdmi jacks?

Make sure it's HDMI to RCA.  Some converters go the other way.  It's hard to recommend one in particular because they're kind of hit or miss.  Like @Strega said, read the reviews.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos