Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Different Channels on different devices on the same account?

Jump to solution

I have a Roku in two different rooms. How can I add channels to only one? There's some I watch that I don't want the kids having access to.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Channels

Jump to solution

Can't be done.  The only way to have different channels on different Rokus is to link them to separate accounts.  Note that subscriptions are tied to the account, so when possible you'll want to subscribe directly with the provider (e.g., Disney+) and not through Roku.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

All Roku channels attach to your Roku ACCOUNT, not to a particular Roku UNIT. So all Roku units linked to a given Roku account will have the same collection of Roku channel subscriptions automatically. Add/delete a channel on one, you add/delete on all.

To have separate channel lists you need to take out additional Roku account(s), using different email address(es) and tie each Roku unit to the desired account.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

4 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

Can't be done.  The only way to have different channels on different Rokus is to link them to separate accounts.  Note that subscriptions are tied to the account, so when possible you'll want to subscribe directly with the provider (e.g., Disney+) and not through Roku.

Highlighted
Level 16

Jump to solution

All Roku channels attach to your Roku ACCOUNT, not to a particular Roku UNIT. So all Roku units linked to a given Roku account will have the same collection of Roku channel subscriptions automatically. Add/delete a channel on one, you add/delete on all.

To have separate channel lists you need to take out additional Roku account(s), using different email address(es) and tie each Roku unit to the desired account.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi LivRm - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi BedRm - JVC EM37T
  • Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi GstRm - Sanyo DP26640
  • Roku 2 XD, 3050X (collecting dust in a drawer)

Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Different Channels on different devices on the same account?

Jump to solution

Guest Account on one unit works but the expiration date keeps you setting it up once a week.  My wife uses the ultra in the living room with her subscriptions and I have my own channels in the basement.  But the guest account process has an expiration date, so every week I add Tubi and Prime and YouTube and some Sci Fi channels.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 18

Re: Different Channels on different devices on the same account?

Jump to solution

So do a factory reset of your roku, start your own account, you can use the same credentials for apps like netflix on both accounts without having to pay twice. Same for prime and all the others you mentioned. No more have to add them each week. 

Edmund
0 Kudos