Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessyka

Different Channels on different devices on the same account?

Jump to solution

I have a Roku in two different rooms. How can I add channels to only one? There's some I watch that I don't want the kids having access to.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Channels

Jump to solution

Can't be done.  The only way to have different channels on different Rokus is to link them to separate accounts.  Note that subscriptions are tied to the account, so when possible you'll want to subscribe directly with the provider (e.g., Disney+) and not through Roku.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

makaiguy

Jump to solution

All Roku channels attach to your Roku ACCOUNT, not to a particular Roku UNIT. So all Roku units linked to a given Roku account will have the same collection of Roku channel subscriptions automatically. Add/delete a channel on one, you add/delete on all.

To have separate channel lists you need to take out additional Roku account(s), using different email address(es) and tie each Roku unit to the desired account.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
renojim

Jump to solution

Can't be done.  The only way to have different channels on different Rokus is to link them to separate accounts.  Note that subscriptions are tied to the account, so when possible you'll want to subscribe directly with the provider (e.g., Disney+) and not through Roku.

makaiguy

Jump to solution

All Roku channels attach to your Roku ACCOUNT, not to a particular Roku UNIT. So all Roku units linked to a given Roku account will have the same collection of Roku channel subscriptions automatically. Add/delete a channel on one, you add/delete on all.

To have separate channel lists you need to take out additional Roku account(s), using different email address(es) and tie each Roku unit to the desired account.

I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
DetroitDan

Re: Different Channels on different devices on the same account?

Jump to solution

Guest Account on one unit works but the expiration date keeps you setting it up once a week.  My wife uses the ultra in the living room with her subscriptions and I have my own channels in the basement.  But the guest account process has an expiration date, so every week I add Tubi and Prime and YouTube and some Sci Fi channels.

0 Kudos
Tivoburkee

Jump to solution

So do a factory reset of your roku, start your own account, you can use the same credentials for apps like netflix on both accounts without having to pay twice. Same for prime and all the others you mentioned. No more have to add them each week. 

Edmund

Lion81
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Wow. This is ridiculous. I just got a new roku tv for my daughter and wanted to remove all the non kids channels and now realized I removed them from my main roku ultra. This is complet **bleep**. How else am I supposed to set up any sort of parental features like locking down channels/apps. Truly unsat. I would have went woth Google os or vizio if I had known this.

renojim

Jump to solution

@Lion81 , I agree that it should be possible, but there are workarounds.  First, whenever possible don't subscribe to any channels through Roku.  Those subscriptions are tied to your Roku account and may not be available outside of that one account.  Second, it's trivial to create a separate Roku account for your kid(s).  All you need is another email address.  I have literally dozens of email addresses and several Roku accounts for different purposes.  Once you've created an account for your kids and linked their devices to that account, set up the PIN preferences (https://my.roku.com/account/pin) so that they can't add channels without a PIN.  Most if not all of the major streaming services will allow you to link their Roku channel to your account subscribed to through the provider.  Roku has always been and will probably always be weak when it comes to parental controls.

Lion81
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

@renojim wrote:

@Lion81 , I agree that it should be possible, but there are workarounds.  First, whenever possible don't subscribe to any channels through Roku.  Those subscriptions are tied to your Roku account and may not be available outside of that one account.  Second, it's trivial to create a separate Roku account for your kid(s).  All you need is another email address.  I have literally dozens of email addresses and several Roku accounts for different purposes.  Once you've created an account for your kids and linked their devices to that account, set up the PIN preferences (https://my.roku.com/account/pin) so that they can't add channels without a PIN.  Most if not all of the major streaming services will allow you to link their Roku channel to your account subscribed to through the provider.  Roku has always been and will probably always be weak when it comes to parental controls.

Thanks for the info.  I'll give creating a second account a shot.  Do you know if you can link multiple accounts to the Roku Phone app?  or do you have to log in and out each time.  i.e. I use my roku phone app to enable private listening on one of my devices. but I want to be able to switch to a different device and control a second roku.  I know when you are logged into the phone app you can add multiple devices. but I don't know if they have to be on the same roku account also.  sry if that's confusing. 

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

I know what you mean, but I don't know the answer.  My gut feeling is that you'd have to log in every time you switch to a Roku on a different account, but I don't use the app.

0 Kudos
pissoff69
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

It would be nice if someone from roku would look at these posts and actually do something about it.  No one should have to do a workaround.  This is one of those simple flaws that will ultimately drive people away from their devices...  and for me, their stock.