Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dalb3
Binge Watcher

Re: Unable to receive activation code

Jump to solution

Just wrote an email to their US Consumer PR contacts. Try again in another couple days I guess lol

0 Kudos
TRIAC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Yep...  just some guy reading a screen troubleshooting flow chart.  That's all he knows.  Marginally better than these new 'AI' bots which are useless.

I still say exchange or return the product.  Money talks.

0 Kudos
dalb3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Alright guys. I got it figured out (with no help from Roku).

I tried a different email address with a different domain (this time I used an alternate gmail account), and I got the email IMMEDIATELY. But this isn't my Roku email... But wait... Maybe...? YES

Here's what I did:

On the Roku site, login with your existing email address/account, goto My Account -> Account Information -> Update

Change your email on file to a different/new email domain (I was using outlook.com for my existing, and I changed it to gmail.com). When it asks you if you want to log out of all devices click NO. You will then get an email confirming it's been changed to the new email.

Once you received this email on your "new" email, goto your tv and input the "new" email address. You will immediately get the activation email. Once you have successfully added the roku to your account, and you verify everything is working, you can then go back to my account->account info->update and change your email BACK to your primary email (if you so desire).

Shoutout to Robin "Roger" Rajan with ONNTV support, who was more helpful than anyone I spoke to at Roku.

Roku, you need to get some sort of tier 3/engineering support to look at this issue. I'm sure there will be many returned products this holiday weekend because of this issue you guys couldn't care less about.

0 Kudos
TRIAC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

Hi  dalb3.

My account is also a outlook.com email address.  I've had Rokus for many years.  I tried an activation with a different gmail email address and immediately got the confirmation from Roku.  I did not continue as I didn't want two Roku accounts (I made no changes to my Roku account).

About two hours later, I received the activation code to my outlook email address.

Yeah, Roku support is next to non-existent.  Too bad too, since I enjoy my Roku devices.

0 Kudos
dalb3
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

You don't create a secondary Roku account. You change your EXISTING roku account's email to a gmail address. Then you finish registering all your new devices. Once everything is working you change your EXISTING roku account's email back to the original outlook.com or whatever email you started with.

0 Kudos
cjgiam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

dalb3, Thanks for your diligence!

Sounds like a plan that works.

Ruku......are you listening? This could be a work-around until you solve the problem.

0 Kudos

Re: No email for activation

Jump to solution

I'm experiencing this issue as well and no matter what I try it still won't work for me. I've debated on sending this product back because I am really upset with how much of an issue im having here. Knowing that this is a common issue it should have another option for it to be fixed. Im not going to spend money on a device that I can't even use. Is there any other options to fix the email issue? @RokuDanny-R 

0 Kudos
pm4

Jump to solution

done everything possible to get this thing to activate have 3 other rokus in the house never had to go through this **bleep** to activate it and try getting any answers from any technical support  is a joke.

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

@Sammygenevieve2 @pm4

We do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you.

Just to confirm, have you tried performing a factory reset to the affected Roku device? If so and the issue persists, please reply here with the serial number of the Roku player. It can be found at the back or underneath the device itself.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
cac303
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Kariza,

Have you even read this thread? You guys keep repeating the same steps, even though it has nothing to do with the problem. There is no issue with the ROKU devices themselves. The Roku outbound email server that sends an activation link can't get an activation email through to the user's email to activate the device, even though every other email from Roku (including adds) comes through just fine.

Since you removed the very simple screen code activation method, there is no workaround to activate if the email doesn't come through.

Since they haven't provided a manual activation tool to the support team, support can't even help you.

The only resolution is to change the email address on your account and hope that the email can get through. This is an awful user experience. 

Please stop telling people to factory reset their devices to fix this issue, you are just wasting their time.