Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No email for activation

Jump to solution

I’ve tried everything and I keep getting the message that the email I provided isn’t working.  I’ve unplugged the tv, held the reset button for more than 30 seconds, used a different email address, nothing works!!

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

Make sure you check your junk/spam folder.  You can try calling support - (816) 272-8106.  I think they're open until 9pm PDT.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
thwohojr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Danny, 

Can you help any of the rest of us out? Long time Roku customer and I've never had any issues previous to this one.

Brand new Roku LT from Walmart. Went through the setup and have not received the activation email. I went online to try to add the device thought my account but it is asking for "the activation code that is showing on the TV screen". Obviously I didn't get one of those codes.

Thanks and Happy 4th of July to you.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @thwohojr,

Thanks for posting in the Roku Community and I will do my best to assist you.

If you did not receive an activation email from Roku after completing this step, you should first check that your email address was entered correctly. Email addresses are not case sensitive, but it is important that an extra letter was not added by mistake, or a period was not inserted in the wrong place.

If your email address was entered correctly and you still do not see an activation email in your inbox, try the following:

• Wait a bit longer: In some cases, it may take several minutes to receive the activation email. Be sure you wait a few minutes before troubleshooting.
  • Check your spam folder: Your internet service provider (ISP) or email client (e.g., Gmail, Outlook, etc.) may block emails from unrecognized senders, placing these messages in a spam (or junk) folder. You may need to go into your spam folder and accept Roku as a recognized sender to get the activation email to appear in your inbox.

If the issue is still not resolved:

1. Return to your Roku device and press the Back button back button on Roku remote on your Roku remote. When prompted, try entering your email address again.
  2. If the issue repeats, try activating your Roku device using a different email address.

You also try performing a factory reset on your device. This will reset all settings and return your Roku device to a state ready for initial setup.
For more information on how to perform a factory reset, visit our Support page here: How do I factory reset my Roku® streaming device?
If you are still unable to get an activation code, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

Please try doing this and see if it helps with what you're experiencing.

Many thanks,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
TRIAC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

thwohojr,

In my case, I was activating a new Roku standalone box.  Using an outlook email address, it took over an hour for the email from Roku to the outlook inbox.  While waiting for the outlook email, I tried a gmail email address and I got the Roku activation email immediately.

I have several Rokus' and using them for years.  This activation problem is new and it looks like Roku can't seem to find the root cause and actually fix the problem.

Good luck!

thwohojr
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks for all of the suggestions, unfortunately none of these did the trick. So I called the Roku support line and choose "new device activation" from the voice prompts. After about 20 minutes Someone picked up the phone and walked me through the following simple procedure.

1) Turn off the Roku device.

2) Reboot me Reboot my wifi router.

3) Turn on the Roku device

4) Resubmit my email address for the activation.

I I had the activation within a minute after doing the above. I'm not sure why this worked. I don't know if she did something on my account allowing for the activation but it worked for me.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
cjgiam
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

I agree there is no reason we should have to reboot anything. You connect to your network & confirm the connection before it sends the email request.

I dd it anyway, just to touch all bases, but as I suspected, didn't matter.

I think their algorithm is faulty & in many cases the device simply does not send the request.

I connected an "Apple TV" appliance to this TV & was online & activated within seconds.

TRIAC
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

I'm glad you got it working, but that is a workaround.  Roku is getting a black eye with this problem.  And it's a shame, too.  Roku is great once you get it connected.

0 Kudos
BrianB4

Jump to solution

I have went through the restart steps and still not receiving the activation email. I am trying to activate a Roku express.

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @BrianB4,

Thank you for reporting this issue to Roku Community!

If you did not receive an activation email from Roku after completing this step, you should first check that your email address was entered correctly. Email addresses are not case sensitive, but it is important that an extra letter was not added by mistake, or a period was not inserted in the wrong place.

If your email address was entered correctly and you still do not see an activation email in your inbox, try the following:

• Wait a bit longer: In some cases, it may take several minutes to receive the activation email. Be sure you wait a few minutes before troubleshooting.
  • Check your spam folder: Your internet service provider (ISP) or email client (e.g., Gmail, Outlook, etc.) may block emails from unrecognized senders, placing these messages in a spam (or junk) folder. You may need to go into your spam folder and accept Roku as a recognized sender to get the activation email to appear in your inbox.

If the issue is still not resolved:

1. Return to your Roku device and press the Back button back button on Roku remote on your Roku remote. When prompted, try entering your email address again.
  2. If the issue repeats, try activating your Roku device using a different email address.

If you are still having any issues after following these steps, please provide the serial number of your Roku device so we can assist further.

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
Mary

Mary F.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos