Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Greg_M1
Level 7

Cutting the cable help?

Have a Roku 3. It works well.

Not sure if what I'm about to ask is "legal" so I'll ask the question and wait for the answer.
I currently have DirecTv. I have recorded a dozen or so movies simply because they are not currently available on DVD/Blu-Ray or I'd just buy them.
What I'm wondering is if there is a black box that I can plug in to the HDMI output of the DirecTv box and record those saved movies for viewing later.
This would make it less of a question about discarding DirecTv

I'd like them to be at the same rez as the original recording etc.

If this is not the place to ask this question, can someone suggest a place?

Thanks
G
0 Kudos
7 Replies
twiceover
Level 11

Re: Cutting the cable help?

Correct, what you are asking is illegal and not supported on this forum.  Not many movies that aren't available to buy these days.
0 Kudos
Greg_M1
Level 7

Yep not many
"5 million years to Earth"

Thanks for the answer
0 Kudos
Basil
Level 10

“Quatermass and the Pit” (different title for the same movie) is available on DVD from Amazon for $7.99
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 15

"twiceover" wrote:
Correct, what you are asking is illegal and not supported on this forum.  Not many movies that aren't available to buy these days.

Actually, it's quite annoying how many titles are completely unavailable for purchase. My wife keeps a list of movies (well over a dozen) she'd like to have, and in the past 5-6 years I think we've been able to get one or two. The rest just can't be had. 
For the OP, there are both technical and legal reasons you can't do what you ask. For the technical side, copy protection will stop it from happening. Legally, you aren't allowed to do it in any manner. Beyond that, any discussion about how to accomplish it is not permitted on this forum. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
denhow
Level 7

"Basil" wrote:
“Quatermass and the Pit” (different title for the same movie) is available on DVD from Amazon for $7.99

It's also free on the Roku on the Movies Plus TV channel. It even shows up in the Roku search function.
0 Kudos
jagreenough
Level 7

The idea of transferring files from a dvr is not illegal. This can easily be done on dish’s hopper. However, directv encrypts the files on their dvr’s. The encryption is keyed to the dvr hardware.

So yes ur out of luck.
Best,
Jeff
0 Kudos
gkl
Level 7

Actually, creating a long-term library of recorded TV shows and movies has never been held to be a fair use. The Sony case (which held that Sony couldn't be held liable for contributory infringement for its customer's infringing uses of the Betamax) held that as long as a device has a substantial noninfringing use and the vendor of the device doesn't promote it for infringing uses, it cannot be held liable. The substantial non-infringing uses of the Betamax included permissive recording and time-shifting (whether explicitly permitted or not). Creating a long-term library of recordings was found not to be permitted as a fair use. A lot of folks used VCRs to create libraries and a lot of folks use DVRs for that purpose, but that doesn't make it legal.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)
0 Kudos