Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CL2U
Level 7

Couple of Questions!

Jump to solution

I noticed in the video, Roku offers Premiere + for older TV’s, yet it isn’t offered for sale. Can someone explain how to get this?

Secondly, is there a way to actually use your laptop as the viewing screen, instead of a TV?

Third question: I noticed that it says you have to have a good connection from your router to the Roku streaming unit. Judging by the videos, it looks to be that the unit is NOT attached to the router directly. Is this actually the case, or are we still requiring an actual physical connection by cable?

Thanks in advance for your help.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
1zodiac
Level 10

Re: Couple of Questions!

Jump to solution

none  of the 2019 models have RCA.

last model was express+ in 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

maybe they were as popular as old tv's are.

ebay or buy a HDMI converter.

other then using a tv turner,i don't know.

all have had wireless,of the new models,just the ultra has ethernet.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@CL2U wrote:

I noticed in the video, Roku offers Premiere + for older TV’s, yet it isn’t offered for sale. Can someone explain how to get this?

Secondly, is there a way to actually use your laptop as the viewing screen, instead of a TV?

Third question: I noticed that it says you have to have a good connection from your router to the Roku streaming unit. Judging by the videos, it looks to be that the unit is NOT attached to the router directly. Is this actually the case, or are we still requiring an actual physical connection by cable?

As mentioned, the Express+ was the last Roku with analog (non-HDMI, although it has that as well) connections, While Roku no longer sells them on their web site, they are still available (from Roku) via Amazon. 

No, virtually no laptop has an HDMI input. You can't connect a Roku to a computer's HDMI output and get anything displayed, and could damage either or both devices. If you added a video capture card (via USB on a laptop) then it's possible, but you could only view something through the capture software. And it would likely cost more than just buying a small HDTV, which would be larger than the laptop screen anyway.

The only Roku with a wired connection is the Ultra. All other Roku players are WiFi only. And yes, you should have the best signal connection as you can get. Although honestly, most online streaming sites rarely exceed about 18 Mbps, so even a less than perfect connection usually isn't a problem. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

3 Replies
Highlighted
1zodiac
Level 10

Jump to solution

none  of the 2019 models have RCA.

last model was express+ in 2017.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roku

maybe they were as popular as old tv's are.

ebay or buy a HDMI converter.

other then using a tv turner,i don't know.

all have had wireless,of the new models,just the ultra has ethernet.

Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

Jump to solution

@CL2U wrote:

As mentioned, the Express+ was the last Roku with analog (non-HDMI, although it has that as well) connections, While Roku no longer sells them on their web site, they are still available (from Roku) via Amazon. 

No, virtually no laptop has an HDMI input. You can't connect a Roku to a computer's HDMI output and get anything displayed, and could damage either or both devices. If you added a video capture card (via USB on a laptop) then it's possible, but you could only view something through the capture software. And it would likely cost more than just buying a small HDTV, which would be larger than the laptop screen anyway.

The only Roku with a wired connection is the Ultra. All other Roku players are WiFi only. And yes, you should have the best signal connection as you can get. Although honestly, most online streaming sites rarely exceed about 18 Mbps, so even a less than perfect connection usually isn't a problem. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Highlighted
CL2U
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you!

0 Kudos