Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
A1274
Level 7

Continuous software update

Just got roku express. Going through set up it is doing a software update restarts gose through the software update continuously that is far as it will go through the set up process

0 Kudos
8 Replies
TRLIMGS
Level 8

Express update loop

It becomes inflammatory because your tech/customer support is non-existent.

This forum seems to be the only path to being heard. All I can say is if ROKU will merely look back on a week or so ago to see what has changed I'm sure they can cure the ills here.

I have a Roku Express and Express Plus and neither works. I had bought the Express Plus and had it working for well over a year as I recall after ROKU stated the OLD original box would not be supported. After the recent loss of service I went and bought a ROKU Express figuring the Plus unit had died. While trying to use the new Express unit during the software update process it stalls and goes into an infinite loop and never goes beyond the ROKU dancing letters.

I have the old box we bought at least 8 years ago now that thankfully we still had. It works......go figure?

0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: Continuous software update

If you're using the TV's USB port for power then use the supplied power adapter.  If you're already doing that, I'd just take it back.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Express update loop

@TRLIMGS @A1274 

Thanks for the posts.

In addition to what @renojim mentioned, we recommend rebooting both your wireless router and your Roku device.

I'd also recommend trying to connect your device to an alternate network, such as a mobile hotspot, to see if you can finish updating and setup your Roku device. Then once your device has been setup try switching back to your home wireless network.

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Mtrmaid
Level 7

Hi @RokuDanny-R we have the same update loop with a roku se. We have tried restarting, using a mobile hotspot, and using a language other than English. It has also been tried at two different households (different routers/networks). Nothing has worked. 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Mtrmaid 

Thanks for the post.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number/device ID on the Roku device along with a summary of the issue you are experiencing. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Smcooper
Level 7

Tried what Dannysuggeted with connecting with different network. After we did this then theroku device couldn't find the original network.

0 Kudos
Smcooper
Level 7

I've done everything that has been suggested. NOTHING has worked Roku devices. Continuous software update loop, continuous software update loop, continuous software update loop. ROKU please fix this!

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Smcooper 

Thanks for the posts.

Can you please clarify the issue you are experiencing? After switching wireless networks, did you trying updating your Roku device, then tried switching back to your home wireless network?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos