Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rickaltman
Reel Rookie

Considering a Roku conversion

Hi, I would be grateful for some buying assistance. We have a 55" LG OLED television with a fantastic picture and a secondary TV that is less expensive. It has Roku built in and I have quickly concluded that the Roku OS is far superior to that of the LG. So I am considering adding a Roku stick to the LG to give it the same functionality. Questions:

1. Will adding Roku to my LG result in any loss of picture quality?
  2. Will my Roku account enable me to sync settings, lists, favorites, etc. between the two televisions?
  3. What Roku product should I be considering for the LG?
  4. What other considerations are there that I don't even know to ask about??

Many thanks in advance for any help to get me started.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Considering a Roku conversion

@rickaltman wrote:
Will adding Roku to my LG result in any loss of picture quality?

No, so long as the Roku supports same or higher resolution as the TV. For instance, if it's a 4K TV, you'll want to get a 4K Roku.

@rickaltman wrote:

Will my Roku account enable me to sync settings, lists, favorites, etc. between the two televisions?

What do you mean? Settings are per device. As for lists, favorites, I don't understand the question. Roku doesn't have that. Apps within Roku do, and you should be experiencing that within any app that supports it.

@rickaltman wrote:
What Roku product should I be considering for the LG?

Any of the current models should be fine. If it's a 4K TV, you might want to get a 4K Roku device, which relates to question 1.

@rickaltman wrote:
What other considerations are there that I don't even know to ask about??

You already have a Roku, and know pretty much how it will work. The difference between Roku TV and standard Roku devices are that the Roku interface includes TV inputs on the Roku TV. With a standard device, the Roku is plugged into one of the inputs, and it doesn't interact with the other inputs.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
rickaltman
Reel Rookie

Thank you, DBDukes. My misunderstanding with Settings was based on the "My Feed" option on my Roku TV menu. It speaks of movies and shows to follow. Also, when I conduct searches (which is my main attraction to Roku, being able to search across all streaming services), there is a "Follow on Roku" choice. All of this led me to believe that these actions could be saved somehow, and if they could be saved, perhaps they were saved at the account level, not the device level.

My wife and I watch shows that are scattered across so many services, it is difficult to remember them all. We seek a service that can help us collect and manage them all. If Roku does NOT do that, consider this post a feature request. And if Roku doesn't do it, someone should!

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@rickaltman 

I now better understand your question about the settings. I've not used My Feed, so I can't say with certainty that a setting on one replicates to all on the same account. I think it does, but others who actually find use of the feature would be better qualified to answer.

Keeping up with content across services doesn't really happen on Roku. The other platforms do this to some degree, but none like you would want. That technology is coming, but it's not there yet. It's difficult to sync information across different services.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos