Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Connects but no access code or streaming

Jump to solution

I've had a Roku device on my large TV for several years, works perfectly. I recently purchased a Roku Express for a smaller TV in the same room (in front of a treadmill!). I tried installing using HDMI cable and USB power into AC outlet with adapter. The TV recognizes the Roku connection, directions appear, and it lets me start the setup routine, lets me enter my wifi password, seems to connect, then screen goes blank. Pushing buttons on the remote makes the 'beep' sound, but noting happens. If I disconnect or turn on/off power of TV, Roku, or both, I get e clear bouncing Roku logo and sound, but 5 bounces later it disappears. White text momentarily appears on the corner of the screen that says "720p 60hz", then flashes off. Nothing further. It does not give me the access code to complete setup. I tried factory reset with paper clip, still same thing happened. I removed the Roku device, and as suggested on these forums, I attached to my large TV. It let it setup, manually set it to 720p, it gave me a code, I authorized online, then if perfectly set up the channels, and was ready. I took it off, put it on my other small TV and same thing as before - bouncing logo, no streaming or image. These TV's are in same room, so it's would seem that it's not a wifi or network problem. TV is a 3 year old Best Buy Insignia model. Any ideas?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: Connects but no access code or streaming

Jump to solution

Try using a different HDMI cable that the one included with your Roku. The provided HDMI cable is junk. When I used mine it the screen color was yellow.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Level 9

Jump to solution

Try using a different HDMI cable that the one included with your Roku. The provided HDMI cable is junk. When I used mine it the screen color was yellow.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thank you code butcher - that worked! At first, I got the same hopping logos and no image, but then I went through the process of resetting the input settings freshly, and the picture popped in clearly. Why a company would provide a cable so cheap that it could possibly cause their product not to function is a marketing mystery. Better to either raise the cost, or don't provide it at all,  and leave it to an annoyed consumer to provide their own. At least it would work. The cable that did work is standard (not high end) quality, and 3 times the length as the provided cable. Anyway, thanks again!!

0 Kudos