Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jessymullenix
Channel Surfer

Connectivity issues and broke remote

My TV is off-line and my Roku remote does not work anymore. and since my TV and roku have no connection I can’t find it on the app nor connect to it

0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connectivity issues and broke remote

You pretty much need a remote to do anything if your TV isn't connected to your network.  The Roku voice remotes work with Roku TVs, but none of the others do.  You need a remote for the TV's manufacturer (e.g., TCL, Hisense, onn, etc).  Many universal remotes will work if they support Roku TVs and not just Roku devices.

There is a known problem with Roku devices and some routers supplied by ISPs, so if you've been connected to a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi channel you first want to ensure that your ISP didn't disable it in your router and then make sure it's set up for wireless mode b/g/n and not g/n.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@Jessymullenix Is this a Roku device plugged into a TV or a Roku TV? 

0 Kudos
Jessymullenix
Channel Surfer

It is a roku device plugged into my tv. Roku express I believe 

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Jessymullenix, you made it sound like you had a Roku TV, not a Roku device connected to a TV.  The model number written on it would help, but most Express models can only connect to 2.4GHz Wi-Fi, so everything I said about that applies.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
NathanCa81
Channel Surfer

My remote went out a few months ago,so I have been using cell phone app as roku remote.  However now I am living in a diff place and I have no way of using my phone app remote to switch to a diff wifi sine my roku is connected to old wifi

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

Edit

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

@NathanCa81  You need to buy a new remote. Which Roku model do you own? The app on your phone won’t work till your Roku is connected to your new WiFi. But you need a remote to do that 

0 Kudos
Jessymullenix
Channel Surfer

Express + I believe

0 Kudos
FastFurious
Roku Guru

The model number is stamped right on the outside of the Roku. 4 numbers and a letter. We need the exact model number 

0 Kudos