Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Neel
Level 8

Connecting with Bose soundbar

Hi all, could anyone pls advise how do I get sound from my Bose soundbar while watching tv via Roku premiere? Basically, connecting Roku to bose soundbar I assume. Sorry, I am not brilliant with technology.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting with Bose soundbar

Roku has dropped the optical output from all players, so there's only two ways to get audio from a Roku to a soundbar/AVR. If the soundbar/AVR has an HDMI input(s), you can connect the Roku and then use the HDMI out to get the video to the TV. The only other way is to connect the Roku directly to the TV, and send the TV audio back to the soundbar/AVR via optical.

Be aware that not all TVs will send surround sound audio out from its optical for connected devices. They will send 5.1 from the TV tuner or any internal apps, but anything connected to an HDMI port is only sent out as stereo. Fortunately, this seems to becoming less and less common.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Neel
Level 8

Thanks. So I have connected roku premiere to my tv using the hdmi cable that comes with it. I have a separate hdmi cable that connects the bose soundbar to the tv. I would assume there has to be something in the roku settings to now connect to bose soundbar?

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Neel wrote:
Thanks. So I have connected roku premiere to my tv using the hdmi cable that comes with it. I have a separate hdmi cable that connects the bose soundbar to the tv. I would assume there has to be something in the roku settings to now connect to bose soundbar?

No, the Roku has no idea there's anything beyond the TV. All your sound routing is being done by the TV, so if the TV is sending audio to the Bose then Roku audio should be there automatically. 

Dan

Neel
Level 8

I see. Basically I can not do anything else. The tv and bose work as usual when I use the apps on the tv. The moment I use roku, no sound from bose ot tv.

0 Kudos
atc98092

@Neel wrote:

I see. Basically I can not do anything else. The tv and bose work as usual when I use the apps on the tv. The moment I use roku, no sound from bose ot tv.

That has to be a setting in the TV. To test, unplug the cable to the Bose unit, then make sure you get TV audio from its speakers. Then test the Roku, and you should be getting its sound. If not, then yes you can check the Audio settings in the Roku to see what it is set on. By default, it should be on Auto, which allows the Roku and the TV to negotiate between themselves about what sound is acceptable.

I'm certain there is some combination of settings on the Roku and TV that will give you the Roku sound out of the Bose. 

Dan

Tivoburkee

The hdmi connector on the tv is an input, so it won't send audio out unless the input is marked ARC, with ARC you can have two way traffic between the tv and soundbar. 

Edmund

0 Kudos
Neel
Level 8

Thanks Edmund. The TV and the soundbar always work and Roku premier and TV also work. But the moment soundbar is connected to the TV while Roku premier is on, I lose audio completely.

0 Kudos