Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting to US channels overseas

Jump to solution
Hello guys,
I’m planning on buying the Roku premiere and I wonder if it’s possible to watch US channels even if I currently live in Taiwan?

I’ve heard that it’s not possible to watch channel like Disney since I’m abroad.

Would the solution be using a VPN on my router to get it bypassed? Or is there any solutions else ?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Connecting to US channels overseas

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Per Community Guidelines: Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the inquiry.

Per Community Guidelines: Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I am also planning to spend time outside the USA and would like to use my Roku to access my Netflix and Prime Video account.  Can I do this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 10

Jump to solution

You can but remember that some currently installed apps may not be available to stream in other countries.  Netflix will probably be available, but Prime not so sure.  Don't forget the remote and power stuff when you grab the player.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

What about us military that are overseas we should be able to whatch us channels or even apps

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Android tv lets you do it why cant roku ? If roku doesn’t let us watch with a vpn them i rather purchase an Android tv

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Jump to solution

@DannyG13 

As a reminder of the Community guidelines when posting in the Community:

Discussions regarding any usage of VPNs to circumvent established regional broadcast rules or limitations are not allowed in the Community. Any topic or comment posted regarding the use of a VPN, or any circumvention of applicable limitations, will be removed at Roku's discretion.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos