Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting my Roku LT to my TV

Hey! I have a (vintage!!) Roku LT and i just got a new television (a 43'' Insignia, not a Smart TV). I haven't used the Roku for a while, but it's not damaged or anything. However, I can not get it to show up on the TV. I'm using the AV cord, I'm in AV input mode, and everything is plugged in. Is it possible that they just aren't compatible? 

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
jeffrok
Level 12

Re: Roku LT

Definitely are compatible.. I'd try the Roku on another TV just to be sure it's still functional. Could be a dying power supply, could be in a video mode not supported by your TV..

Make sure that if it's plugged into AV1 (for example) that that's the source you've selected on the TV.
Also, once it's on, do you get any sound of you hit the home button or arrow buttons a few times? In other words, is it a video problem only or also audio?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Also, if it's an HD TV, you should really be using the HDMI input.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 16

I'd try it with an HDMI cable before you give up on it. Then you could at least get 720p from it. Honestly though, as inexpensive as the new models are I'd just replace it. The performance difference between an LT and even the lowest level of the new boxes (Express) would be night and day.
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
Also, if it's an HD TV, you should really be using the HDMI input.

yeah, im definitely going to get an HDMI cord. just completely forgot. 
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
Definitely are compatible.. I'd try the Roku on another TV just to be sure it's still functional. Could be a dying power supply, could be in a video mode not supported by your TV..

Make sure that if it's plugged into AV1 (for example) that that's the source you've selected on the TV.
Also, once it's on, do you get any sound of you hit the home button or arrow buttons a few times? In other words, is it a video problem only or also audio?

its def in the right source mode. I'm using the Roku cord w/ the 3 colored AV input cables (which are plugged into the TV) However, you are right; i don't hear any sounds when i press the buttons, but the light on the Roku does react when i press them. 
0 Kudos
jeffrok
Level 12

Make sure they're plugged in correctly.. I've plugged component and composite cables in with little to no light and later noticed to reversed a cable.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
0 Kudos

"jeffrok" wrote:
Make sure they're plugged in correctly.. I've plugged component and composite cables in with little to no light and later noticed to reversed a cable.

fixed it!!! thanks. 
av cables felt plugged in but werent. 
0 Kudos