Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zpatenaude37
Level 7

Connecting Roku TV to receiver

Hello,

All of the similar threads I saw online regarding this were not Roku TVs but Rokus connected to TVs.  

So I just received from someone a Sharp TV with Roku built into it.  I can't seem to get audio through my Bose surround sound.  The receiver is a Yamaha.

Right now I have an HDMI going from ARC to ARC but I'm not sure if that matters since there are no other HDMI connections.  I've tried various combinations using AV and audio cables to the TV's AV and audio ports.  Anyone know what to do?

EDIT:  This TV is not connected to a cable box.  I just want to use it for wireless streaming off Netflix and Prime video

Thank you

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Connecting Roku TV to receiver

I think that ARC can be problematic. Maybe just go hdmi and avoid arc to see. You may be able to turn arc off in Yamaha settings.
Does your Yamaha decode Dolby Digital Plus?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

I used to have problems with my Yamaha receiver. I solved them all by avoiding “Auto detect” and “Dolby D+”. Go to Settings / Audio / S/PDIF and ARC and downgrade to “Dolby D, DTS” without plus.
0 Kudos
zpatenaude37
Level 7

"apodtele" wrote:
I used to have problems with my Yamaha receiver. I solved them all by avoiding “Auto detect” and “Dolby D+”. Go to Settings / Audio / S/PDIF and ARC and downgrade to “Dolby D, DTS” without plus.

Thank you but how did you have it connected from the TV to the receiver because I tried that with a few different configurations.
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

On my TCL Roku TV I have only one HDMI/ARC socket, the other two are just HDMI. So, naturally, I used the former.

For example, HDMI 2 on this picture is labeled ARC.
0 Kudos
zpatenaude37
Level 7

"apodtele" wrote:
On my TCL Roku TV I have only one HDMI/ARC socket, the other two are just HDMI. So, naturally, I used the former.

For example, HDMI 2 on this picture is labeled ARC.

If I'm using ARC on the TV and receiver then the HDMI cable in the receiver is in the HDMI out slot.  So what input does the receiver need to be on to work?
0 Kudos
apodtele
Level 7

If you lost your receiver manual, you can find it online. Here is mine. It should have the most detailed instructions on ARC connection. Mine does on page 18.

Alternatively, please pay for my travel and lodging. I will set it up for you.
0 Kudos