Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting Roku Stream + stick with Samsung Q70 TV and Sony STR-HD790 AVR Receiver

Hey all,

I'm about to purchase a Sony STR-HD790 AV receiver to use with my new Samsung Q70 television and Roku Streaming + stick. On my current set-up, using a Vizio SB3632 soundbar, I have the soundbar plugged into the TV HDMI ARC and the Roku into the HDMI 1 slot. On a AVR receiver, would I connect as above, receiver HDMI ARC > TV HDMI ARC, and leave the Roku stick in HDMI 1 ? Or would the Roku stick be used in the AVR HDMI slot ? Would appreciate some clarity on this. Thank you, Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Connecting Roku Stream + stick with Samsung Q70 TV and Sony STR-HD790 AVR Receiver

I recommend connecting the Roku directly to the AVR. That way there's no concern of the audio codec not properly being sent back out of the ARC. I've always connected the Roku devices to my AVRs directly. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos