Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Connecting Roku Express to older Magnavox TV

I bought a Roku Express a few days ago, and I have a Magnavox 32MF301B/F7 32-inch TV which is older. I needed to use a cable with an USB-A end to connect the Express to the TV. The Express turns on with a blue light, and the remote seems to work, but I can't see the Roku screen. Is it absolutely necessary to connect the HDMI end to an HDMI end? There is only one HDMI connection on the TV, but that is being used for our Blu-ray player. Will I have to disconnect the Blu-ray to use the Express? Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 16

Re: Connecting Roku Express to older Magnavox TV

The USB port is only for power and you'll probably be better off connecting that to the power adapter provided and not use the TV's USB port.  Yes, you need to connect the HDMI output to the HDMI input of the TV.  You can get an HDMI switch like this one so you can connect both the Blu-ray player and Roku at the same time.  You'll probably need another HDMI cable unless you get a switch with a pigtail.  Don't get suckered into buying expensive cables.  I get 3 ft cables at the 99 cent store and I've never had a problem with them.