Roku setup

From linking a device to your account to adding channels, find Roku setup troubleshooting help and activation support from our community support forum.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aaj3
Reel Rookie

Connecting Roku Express+ to Older Sony HD Plasma TV with DVI input ( No HDMI )

Jump to solution

My first HDTV purchased years ago is a 32" Sony Plasma, absolutely beautiful picture and located in our kitchen, now connected to a Spectrum cable box via HDMI to DVI cable.  I have to use separate audio cables for sound and everything works perfectly.  

I am trying to get rid of cable TV and want to go to streaming.   So when connecting the Roku Express + the composite cable works but is not HD.  The HDMI to DVI cable initially shows the Roku menu but after setup, but then the input signal is not recognized.  This would be an ideal setup, identical to the cable box but so far will not work. Especially since this unit has audio out ports.

I connected another Roku 4K+ to the tv using the HDMI to DVI cable and the picture/signal  is perfect but there is no sound and this Roku has no additional audio out port.  So it appears that a Roku can connect via HDMI to DVI.  

I really would like to keep this tv and would appreciate any help/suggestions on ability to connect a Roku to it.  Also I did update the software on the Roku Express+ before connecting. Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
aaj3
Reel Rookie

Re: Connecting Roku Express+ to Older Sony HD Plasma TV with DVI input ( No HDMI )

Jump to solution

Additional update for the HDMI to DVI audio extractor which I now have working perfectly.  I moved the older Sony plasma tv to another room in my house and found that it worked, this time using a ROKU stick 4K.  Thinking that it was the stick, returned it to the kitchen and again saw the initial Roku menu, but after setup the HDMI indicated "no signal".  I then  noticed my internet speed was slow and erratic, and at that point moved an Airport Express into the cabinet with the tv, still not working, then on a whim unplugged the Airport Express and everything began working perfectly and has now been working for nearly 24 hours. I also  replaced the stick with a Roku 4K+ and working perfectly.  I have to assume that the Airport Express, which was set up to extend my network, was either not working well or competing with my main Airport Extreme wireless signal.  So alls well that ends well and we get to keep the older Sony plasma tv. 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connecting Roku Express+ to Older Sony HD Plasma TV with DVI input ( No HDMI )

Jump to solution

I think HDMI to DVI is going to be hit or miss and I wouldn't be surprised if some models work and some don't.  Years ago I used that setup and it worked until a Roku update and then all I got was static.  I gave up on it then and never went back.  You could try adding an HDMI switch to the mix even though you're not switching anything.  They've been known to sometimes have an effect that gets things to work.

At the least to get the "Roku 4k+" (which isn't a full Roku model name; model numbers are always better when asking for help), you'll probably need a HDMI-to-DVI converter with audio extraction or some other HDMI audio extractor.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@aaj3-

DVI carries video only, not audio.  That's why, when using an HDMI-to-DVI converter cable your TV does not receive audio and must have the audio transmitted by different means.

As @renojim suggested, running the HDMI signal through an HDMI-to-DVI converting device that has an audio extractor (not just a passive HDMI-to-DVI cable) can provide the additional audio connections you need. 

Here is one such converter I found on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/eSynic-Converter-Optical-Toslink-Extractor/dp/B07Q39QN33/ref=sr_1_14?crid=2IV...
With this you'd need a straight DVI-DVI cable to connect to your TV.  It has digital SPDIF audio output you can use if your TV has SPDIF digital audio input, or it also has a headphone output if your TV has analog stereo inputs.  If using the headphone output, you may need a cable going from stereo 3/8" to two RCA plugs (red and white) to connect to your TV's audio input. 

Edit:

An alternate approach to get the audio ouputs you need would be to run your HDMI through an HDMI-to-HDMI device with audio extraction, then connect its HDMI output to your TV with an HDMI-to-DVI cable.  This has both SPDIF digital audio output and left and right channel RCA outlet jacks for analog audio.
https://www.amazon.com/AuviPal-Extractor-Connecting-Firestick-Projector/dp/B08DD5VVFM/ref=sr_1_12_ss...

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
aaj3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for your help.  I will order the Amazon hdmi audio extractor and that should work fine with the Roku 4K+.   I wonder what the problem is with the signal output from the Roku Express+, which has its own audio output. But this a great alternative and cheap.  Thanks again,  Arthur.

0 Kudos
aaj3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Just FYI, the Amazon HDMI to DVI audio extractor so far will not work with a Roku 4K + streaming device.  I connected it and saw the Roku setup menu, but after the setup/update it will send audio but no video signal.  I have since ordered a similar device HDMI to HDMI audio extractor and will use my HDMI to DVI cable and see if that works. Thanks again. 

0 Kudos
aaj3
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Additional update for the HDMI to DVI audio extractor which I now have working perfectly.  I moved the older Sony plasma tv to another room in my house and found that it worked, this time using a ROKU stick 4K.  Thinking that it was the stick, returned it to the kitchen and again saw the initial Roku menu, but after setup the HDMI indicated "no signal".  I then  noticed my internet speed was slow and erratic, and at that point moved an Airport Express into the cabinet with the tv, still not working, then on a whim unplugged the Airport Express and everything began working perfectly and has now been working for nearly 24 hours. I also  replaced the stick with a Roku 4K+ and working perfectly.  I have to assume that the Airport Express, which was set up to extend my network, was either not working well or competing with my main Airport Extreme wireless signal.  So alls well that ends well and we get to keep the older Sony plasma tv. 

0 Kudos