Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sunwshpr
Level 7

Connected devices

Jump to solution

I have a streaming stick +I use in my bedroom. I have 2 roommates who both have express units. I see their units on my list of devices... Are they viewing what I'm viewing? If I click on their device shows connected. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Connected devices

Jump to solution

I am a beta member, so I will absolutely report it. 

EDIT: reported

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Where are you seeing them as a list of devices? On your Roku user home page? That would mean their Rokus are linked to your account, not their own.

If you're simply seeing them within the Roku app on your phone, that's normal, as you'll see every Roku on your network. It doesn't matter who they are registered to. That would also mean that you can control their Roku using the app, but that's not a polite thing to do. Smiley Very Happy

Are they viewing what you're viewing? No, you can't stream what one Roku is watching to another. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

If you're simply seeing them within the Roku app on your phone, that's normal, as you'll see every Roku on your network. It doesn't matter who they are registered to. That would also mean that you can control their Roku using the app, but that's not a polite thing to do. Smiley Very Happy

That also means if they are also using the Roku app on their phones, they can control yours as well.  If this is your network, and if your router allows you to set up a separate guest network, you might wish to do that in order to separate them from the network you are using.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

Or disable or set to confirm the setting on your Roku (not the app, the player) that permits remote control. Yes, you lose that control yourself if you disable it, but at least no one else can control your player. If you set it to confirm, then you have to grant specific permission to another device to control your player.

Dan
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 17

Jump to solution

Be aware that the "Control by mobile apps" setting is broken in firmware versions 9.4 and 10 (up to build 4165) - if you set this to permissive/disable, anyone on the same network will still be able to access/control all connected Rokus with the Roku mobile app.

You'll need to use AP isolation/client isolation/guest network settings in your modem/router/gateway if you want to prevent others (and yourself) from accessing Rokus using the mobile app (and otherwise).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser wrote:

Be aware that the "Control by mobile apps" setting is broken in firmware versions 9.4 and 10 (up to build 4165) - if you set this to permissive/disable, anyone on the same network will still be able to access/control all connected Rokus with the Roku mobile app.

I wasn't aware of this, but just tested it on my Premiere and can confirm it with 9.4. That's something that really needs addressing. 

Dan
0 Kudos
StreamerUser
Level 17

Jump to solution

@atc98092 wrote:

@StreamerUser wrote:

I wasn't aware of this, but just tested it on my Premiere and can confirm it with 9.4. That's something that really needs addressing. 

I've informed them multiple times with every 9.4 and 10 build, to no avail - it would be good to have many others reporting it as well - make sure you report it directly, or via beta access (might be more successful).

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Jump to solution

I am a beta member, so I will absolutely report it. 

EDIT: reported

Dan

View solution in original post

0 Kudos