Getting Started - Setup & How-to

Help getting started with Roku devices, including setup, connecting your device to your TV, linking a Roku device to your account at my.roku.com/link, adding channels, subscribing to services, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeqToo
Level 7

Connect a Roku box to a Roku tv with different account

Jump to solution

I have a Roku premiere box connected to my home network. I'm going to be house-sitting for a friend who has a Roku TV. However she doesn't have all the subscriptions that I have. I thought I could bring my own box and use the HDMI port on her TV to hook up my own box. That way I wouldn't have to mess with her account sign-in on her TV. Is this a good way of handling this, or is something else better? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Connect a Roku box to a Roku tv with different account

Jump to solution

This is a good way to do it.  Just make sure you bring along an HDMI cable and your remote and don't forget to get her Wi-Fi password.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9\
renojim

Jump to solution

This is a good way to do it.  Just make sure you bring along an HDMI cable and your remote and don't forget to get her Wi-Fi password.

View solution in original post

atc98092

Jump to solution

@TeqToo wrote:

I have a Roku premiere box connected to my home network. I'm going to be house-sitting for a friend who has a Roku TV. However she doesn't have all the subscriptions that I have. I thought I could bring my own box and use the HDMI port on her TV to hook up my own box. That way I wouldn't have to mess with her account sign-in on her TV. Is this a good way of handling this, or is something else better? 

Works just fine. Just keep track of which remote is which. Smiley Happy

Dan

I am not a Roku employee, just another user.
TeqToo
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks! I was worried it wouldn't work, or that it would mess something up for the folks at home using the other Roku boxes on that account.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@TeqToo wrote:

Thanks! I was worried it wouldn't work, or that it would mess something up for the folks at home using the other Roku boxes on that account.

Nope, the only issue you would run into is if you were taking your Roku to a country that is not where your user account is located. Other than that, no problem. I use my Roku Premiere all the time in hotels when I travel, and used my Ultra for three months in a hotel when I was on a longer detail to DC. 

Dan

0 Kudos
dickhooey
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have a similar question.  Going away for two weeks.  I bring my box, an HDMI cable and my remote.

I believe the only other thing I need is the homeowner's wifi password and a TV set with an HDMI connection.

I have hulu, Netflix, Disney and xfinity enabled.  Do I need to know all these passwords that I have originally set and likely forgot? Or will the box remember my passwords?

Is there anything else I am missing?  There will be complaints from angry family members if it doesn't all work immediately.

0 Kudos
atc98092

Jump to solution

@dickhooey wrote:

I have a similar question.  Going away for two weeks.  I bring my box, an HDMI cable and my remote.

I believe the only other thing I need is the homeowner's wifi password and a TV set with an HDMI connection.

I have hulu, Netflix, Disney and xfinity enabled.  Do I need to know all these passwords that I have originally set and likely forgot? Or will the box remember my passwords?

Is there anything else I am missing?  There will be complaints from angry family members if it doesn't all work immediately.

If you are taking a player that is already authenticated on those sites, then they will work fine at your temporary location. The one exception would be Xfinity. Their channel will only work if you're connected to an Xfinity network. If your temporary location doesn't use Xfinity as their Internet provider, it won't work. I don't think it's tied specifically to your personal network, but it's the cable company so I wouldn't put it past them.

Dan

0 Kudos
renojim

Jump to solution

Don't forget the power adapter!

dickhooey
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks

0 Kudos
dickhooey
Level 7

Jump to solution

Great reminder- thanks